Former Imam Convicted of 21 Sexual Offences After Exploiting Faith Role
Former Imam Guilty of 21 Sexual Offences Using Faith Position

Former Imam Found Guilty of Multiple Sexual Offences After Exploiting Faith Position

A former imam has been convicted of 21 sexual offences after systematically exploiting his respected role as a faith leader to coerce and abuse multiple women and girls over more than a decade.

Decade-Long Abuse Pattern Uncovered

Abdul Halim Khan, 54, of Old Forde Road in London, was found guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday of numerous serious sexual crimes committed between 2004 and 2015. The Metropolitan Police investigation revealed that Khan abused his standing within the local community to target vulnerable individuals, including three teenage girls as young as 12 years old.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, Khan persuaded victims to meet him in isolated locations including private flats and hidden spots under the false pretence of preventing harm from befalling them or their families. He would then rape or sexually assault the victims while claiming to be possessed or disguised as a jinn, a supernatural spirit in Islamic tradition.

Psychological Manipulation and Coercion

The CPS detailed how Khan manipulated his victims psychologically, convincing them they needed to keep the abusive acts secret from family and friends for fear of "black magic" consequences. This manipulation created a powerful barrier preventing victims from reporting the abuse for years.

Khan was convicted of nine counts of rape, four counts of sexual assault, two counts of sexual assault of a child under 13, five counts of rape of a child under 13, and one count of assault by penetration. Police first became aware of his offending in February 2018 when the youngest victim reported the abuse to a teacher at her school.

Victim Impact and Survivor Statements

Following the verdict, one survivor shared a powerful statement detailing the profound and lasting impact of the abuse. "The abuse I suffered as a child has had a profound and lasting impact on my life," she said. "What happened to me did not end when the abuse stopped. It affected my sense of safety, my ability to trust others, and the way I understood relationships and authority."

The survivor described living with shame, fear, and confusion that were not hers to carry, and how the loss of trust shaped much of her adult life. She praised the Metropolitan Police officers who handled her case with care, professionalism, and sensitivity, noting that being listened to and believed helped restore some of the trust that had been taken from her.

Police and Prosecution Response

Detective Sergeant Sara Yems, who led the investigation, commended the seven women who came forward for their extraordinary courage. "It shows remarkable strength for anyone to report abuse, especially when the abuser is believed to be a trusted figure," she said. "While nothing will undo the harm suffered by these women, yesterday's conviction will hopefully offer a small measure of comfort."

Melissa Garner, specialist prosecutor for the CPS, emphasized the severity of Khan's crimes. "Abdul Halim Khan, a former imam, abused his position of trust and authority to carry out a vicious series of rapes and sexual abuses against seven victims including three vulnerable teenage girls," she stated. "The lifelong physical and emotional trauma caused to victims by men like Khan cannot be understated."

Legal Proceedings and Sentencing

Khan was charged on March 16, 2023, after extensive police investigation. Throughout interviews, he repeatedly denied the allegations, claiming they represented a conspiracy and that victims had concocted stories for revenge. The court rejected these claims based on compelling evidence presented by prosecutors.

The former imam has been remanded into custody ahead of sentencing scheduled for May 14 at Snaresbrook Crown Court. The Metropolitan Police has encouraged anyone with additional information relating to Khan's offences to come forward, quoting Operation Sparebank when contacting authorities.

Garner concluded with a message to other survivors: "I encourage any victims of child sexual abuse and sexual violence to report the crimes committed against them to the police. You are not alone and there is always help available."