Ben Whittaker: How Backlash Fueled My Boxing Comeback
Ben Whittaker: Backlash Fueled My Boxing Comeback

Professional boxer Ben Whittaker has made a startling admission, revealing he secretly relished the widespread criticism he received following his chaotic first encounter with Liam Cameron. The Olympic silver medallist says the public turning against him became the catalyst for a dramatic career transformation as he prepares for his high-stakes Matchroom debut this Saturday night in Birmingham.

The Backlash That Lit a Fire

Whittaker faces Benjamin Gavazi for the WBC Silver light-heavyweight title this weekend, but it's the aftermath of his infamous bouts with Cameron that he credits with changing his professional trajectory. Their first fight descended into farce when both men tumbled out of the ring, while the rematch saw Whittaker stop Cameron in the second round before launching into a wild celebration that sparked fierce online debate and accusations of disrespect.

"It was a tough situation because I had everything. Then everybody turned against me, and weirdly, I liked it," Whittaker exclusively told Daily Mail Sport ahead of fight night. Rather than being broken by the negativity, he insists it ignited something within him that had been missing during his early professional success.

The 26-year-old fighter described how he channelled the criticism into motivation during solitary late-night training sessions. "I'd go for runs at one in the morning saying, wait till I'm back. People were tagging me in posts and talking about me. I said, wait till I'm back. I cut everyone off, trained like a villain in a movie, didn't speak to anyone, and just focused on popping out and performing."

A Necessary Wake-Up Call

Whittaker now believes the entire Cameron saga – from the bizarre fall through the ropes to the tense 'Roundgate' dispute before their rematch and the subsequent criticism – provided the jolt he needed after early success came too easily. "Of course, you never want a bump in the road. It would have been lovely for it all to keep going. Who knows, I probably wouldn't even be boxing now, probably a Netflix star or something crazy," he reflected.

He acknowledged that his working-class background, where both parents worked two jobs, meant nothing came easy – until his professional boxing career took off. "Then suddenly everything was coming to my feet, and that's when you either take your foot off the ball or you overdo it. My issue was overdoing it. I was training three times a day. I was overcooking myself."

Following the rematch controversy, Whittaker made significant changes to his approach and environment. He moved to Ireland, streamlined his team and began working under Andy Lee. The boxer has maintained a noticeably lower profile since, avoiding the spotlight and doing minimal media appearances.

Rediscovering Focus and Identity

When asked if his withdrawal stemmed from feeling let down or losing trust in the media, Whittaker offered a candid response about personal growth. "You can't give everyone your time. I was a classroom clown, always had to say something, act like an idiot. Maybe that's the ADHD. But since everything happened it's calmed down. You don't always need to be the loudest person in the room."

His new environment in Ireland has provided the peace he needed. "I'm in a city where nobody really knows me, which is good. I can go under the radar, do my shopping, live quietly. It makes you a happier fighter."

Under Lee's guidance, Whittaker has sharpened his fundamentals without sacrificing his flamboyant style. "Showboating is something you can never take away from me. I love it, I'm good at it, and it's how I express myself," he stated, adding that his coach supports this aspect of his boxing identity. "Andy didn't want to take it out either. Sometimes in sparring he'll say, you're not doing your little showboating stuff - don't lose that. He knows the basics matter, but he knows my style is unique."

Now standing at 9-0-1 with six knockouts, Whittaker enters his first fight under promoter Eddie Hearn determined to prove he can finally build momentum after a stop-start two years under Boxxer. His opponent Gavazi, with a record of 19-1 and 13 KOs, represents the stiffest test of his career since his debut loss.

"I'm feeling good. I've done all the work, left no stone unturned," Whittaker declared. "Another headline fight, a good belt on the line – they've done everything on their part. Now it's down to me to go out there and win, and that's what I plan to do."

And if the crowd turns on him again in Birmingham? He says he won't shy away from it. In fact, as he proved before, he might just thrive on it.