A Washington Post journalist has expressed devastation after being laid off while risking her life to report from the war zone in Ukraine. Correspondent Lizzie Johnson spoke out following the newspaper's announcement of mass layoffs to staff during an internal Zoom call on Wednesday morning.
Journalist's Devastating Announcement from War Zone
'I was just laid off by The Washington Post in the middle of a warzone,' Johnson wrote on social media platform X. She added: 'I have no words. I'm devastated.' Johnson also shared a previous post describing the harsh conditions she worked under in Ukraine, including waking up 'without power, heat, or running water.'
'But the work here in Kyiv continues,' she wrote. 'Warming up in the car, writing in pencil — pen ink freezes — by headlamp.'
Mass Layoffs Across the Newspaper
The cuts could see more than 300 journalists lose their jobs across the company, according to reports from The New York Times. The sweeping layoffs also effectively shut down the newspaper's sports department, though some staff will be reassigned to other desks.
Coverage will be reframed as 'a cultural and societal phenomenon,' according to the Post's executive editor Matt Murray. This shift comes despite there being seven major professional teams in or near Washington DC spanning multiple sports leagues.
Appeals to Ownership Fall on Deaf Ears
Earlier this week, Post journalists appealed to owner Jeff Bezos to spare their jobs with the hashtag #SaveThePost – though the layoffs still pressed ahead. Bezos, who purchased the Post in 2013 for $250 million, is currently the fourth richest person in the world with an estimated worth of about $244.4 billion.
Ukrainian bureau boss Siobhan O'Grady was among those who directly pleaded with Bezos to change his mind. 'We will never forget your support for our essential work documenting the war in Ukraine, which still rages,' O'Grady said.
She also referred to Bezos' spouse Lauren Sánchez while making her case. 'Your wife has called our team 'badass beacons of hope',' she added. 'We risk our lives for the stories our readers demand. Please believe in us and #SaveThePost.'
Strategic Reset Amid Financial Struggles
The Washington Post has struggled in recent years with declining subscriptions and web traffic amid a push for profitability. Newsroom staff were told they would receive emails with a subject line indicating whether their jobs had been eliminated.
Murray said the Post was undergoing a 'strategic reset' and 'taking a number of actions across the company to secure our future.' The paper's other changes included scrapping its books desk and suspending its flagship podcast.
Union Condemns Layoffs
The newspaper's guild quickly condemned the latest round of layoffs in a statement issued Wednesday morning. 'Continuing to eliminate workers only stands to weaken the newspaper, drive away readers and undercut the Post’s mission,' the guild said.
The union urged for 'solidarity with our laid-off colleagues and with those who remain,' while also taking aim at ownership. 'If Jeff Bezos is no longer willing to invest in the mission that has defined this paper for generations and serve the millions who depend on Post journalism, then The Post deserves a steward that will,' the statement read.
Ongoing Challenges for the Publication
In a statement, a Post spokesman said the newspaper was ‘taking a number of difficult but decisive actions today for our future.’ The spokesperson added: 'These steps are designed to strengthen our footing and sharpen our focus on delivering the distinctive journalism that sets the Post apart and, most importantly, engages our customers.'
The Post’s newsroom has shrunk dramatically since 2023, with several rounds of buyouts taking place. In 2024, the Post's then-new CEO Will Lewis said the outlet ‘needs turning around,’ according to reports. 'We are losing large amounts of money. Your audience is halved. People are not reading your stuff,' Lewis said. 'I can’t sugarcoat it anymore.'
Last Thursday, Johnson wrote on X that 'getting to follow in the footsteps of so many Washington Post correspondents — who have been at the front lines of some of the world's biggest moments — has been an honor.' 'We are still here, still writing history,' she said then. 'I hope that doesn't change.'