Tragic Deaths of Elderly Couple on Unlit Norfolk Road After Christmas Service
An inquest has heard the heartbreaking details of how a devoted elderly couple were killed together after stepping into the path of a car on an unlit road as they left a Christmas church service. Former Cadbury Schweppes executive Campbell Welsh, 82, and his wife Sheila, 81, a retired British Aerospace secretary, had just enjoyed carol singing with fellow parishioners before sharing mince pies and mulled wine.
Fatal Moments After Festive Gathering
Shortly after the couple left All Saints Church in High Kelling, near the north Norfolk coast, to head home on December 22, 2024, witnesses reported hearing a 'loud metallic bang' outside. The 'energetic and sociable' couple, who still enjoyed cycling and visiting friends, were found lying in the road on the A148—a stretch locals had been campaigning about for years due to safety concerns.
Witnesses described the distraught driver of a Mini Cooper standing nearby saying: 'Don't tell me they're dead.' Despite desperate attempts by paramedics who spent an extended period trying to help, Mr Welsh—who later became a brewery director—and his wife were pronounced dead at the scene.
Family's Heartbreaking Testimony
During the inquest at Norfolk Coroner's Court, their son Brian, a retired fire officer, made it clear his parents would not have taken their lives deliberately. 'My parents loved life and were making plans for the future,' he said. 'They adored their family and were looking forward to Christmas.'
Claire Bennett, who chatted with Mrs Welsh after the service, told how she spoke excitedly about family and friends coming to visit over the festive period. Retired music teacher Christine Mangan was among churchgoers who rushed outside after hearing the sickening noise of the collision. She found Mrs Welsh's broken glasses in the road before spotting her nearby, while Mr Welsh had been flung further down the road by the impact.
Investigation Findings and Coroner's Conclusions
Post-mortem examinations showed both victims suffered multiple catastrophic musculoskeletal injuries that were not survivable. A man in his 50s was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving but no further action was taken after police investigation showed:
- The car had been traveling safely in the 30mph zone
- The stretch of road had no lighting
- The Welshes were wearing dark clothes with no reflective material
A witness told the inquest they heard the driver saying: 'They just walked in front of me. I didn't see them.' Noting the couple's ages, Mr Welsh's mobility issues, and the probability they didn't see the car as they stepped off the pavement, assistant coroner Christopher Leach recorded the deaths as being the result of a road accident.
He reassured the driver he was not to blame for the 'horrendous' tragedy, stating: 'They would only have become visible to the driver when his headlights illuminated them. Given the short time and distance he had to react, it was highly unlikely that he could have taken action to avoid them.'
Longstanding Safety Concerns on Dangerous Route
The route had already attracted concern following two previous deaths, with complaints including:
- Inconsistent speed limits
- Lack of lighting
- Inadequate pedestrian infrastructure
- Dangerous junctions
Michael Rawson, 74, was killed in High Kelling in 2015 after being struck by a car as he got off a bus. A year previously, Martha Seaward, 15, died when hit by a lorry in nearby Sheringham.
Community Response and Safety Campaign
After Mr and Mrs Welsh's deaths, their granddaughter Izzy launched a petition calling on the council to make the road safer, which has been signed by more than 2,300 people. A meeting into the issue took place at High Kelling Village Hall in June last year, chaired by North Norfolk Lib Dem MP Steffan Aquarone.
Those present included parish councillors from surrounding villages, police officials, Norfolk Police and Crime Commissioner Sarah Taylor, and highways officers from Norfolk County Council who confirmed a full feasibility study about the road would take place.
Mr Aquarone said the double tragedy brought 'into sharp focus just how dangerous the road is for pedestrians and motorists alike.' District councillor Callum Ringer added improvements on the route were 'long overdue.'
Council Response and Future Measures
A county council spokesman confirmed a comprehensive safety review had been carried out, stating: 'Some improvements have been delivered in response to these concerns, including footway widening works through the village, additional road markings and supporting the parish council with successful funding bids for further improvements to bus shelters and footpaths.'
'We will continue to work with the local community to seek further opportunities to address local concerns, including any recommendations from the coroner's inquest.'