Teenagers Found Guilty in Brutal Seaside Killing
Three teenagers have been convicted of manslaughter following the brutal killing of Alexander Cashford, a 49-year-old electrician who was lured to his death on a family-friendly beach in Kent last summer. The attack, which occurred in broad daylight on August 10, was witnessed by holidaymakers and recorded on a mobile phone by one of the perpetrators.
A Calculated Trap Set on the Coast
The court heard how the victim was enticed to Leysdown-on-Sea, a resort on the Isle of Sheppey, through a series of text messages exchanged over two days. The teenagers, two boys aged 15 and 16 and a 16-year-old girl, posed as a girl named "Sienna" to arrange the meeting. Mr Cashford, believing he was communicating with a 16-year-old, agreed to bring alcohol to their rendezvous at the beach wall.
When he arrived, the two boys followed him for approximately 850 meters before launching their assault. The older teenager, armed with an empty glass bottle, struck Mr Cashford around the head and body. As the victim attempted to flee, he was tripped and fell to the ground, where rocks were thrown at his head. A final kick to his chest, described in court as resembling someone striking a football, broke six ribs and likely caused his death.
Grim Aftermath and Video Evidence
The attack was captured on video by the female defendant, who could be heard shouting "F***ing paedophile, I'm f***ing 16" and "Get him" during the recording. This footage was later forwarded to friends with the caption "F***** pedo up LOL." Passers-by described seeing Mr Cashford lying motionless on the beach as the older boy continued to pelt him with rocks.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, Mr Cashford was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 8pm. A post-mortem examination revealed more than 30 external injuries, with chest trauma identified as the probable cause of death.
Court Proceedings and Verdicts
Following a month-long trial at Woolwich Crown Court, the 15-year-old boy and the 16-year-old girl were found guilty of manslaughter, having denied the charge. The 16-year-old boy had previously pleaded guilty to the same offense. All three defendants were acquitted of murder by the jury. Due to their ages, none can be identified.
During the trial, the prosecution argued that the attack was a "deliberate trap" with each defendant playing a vital role. The older boy claimed he had planned to "hit" Mr Cashford a few times because he believed the man's interest in a 16-year-old was "wrong." He admitted forwarding the video because he was "showing off." The younger boy claimed he only followed to ensure the girl's safety, while the female defendant did not give evidence.
Legal and Moral Complexities
Detective Chief Inspector Neil Kimber of Kent Police emphasized that Mr Cashford's interactions with the girl, while potentially distasteful, were not illegal, as the age of consent in the UK is 16. "There was nothing illegal about his actions," DCI Kimber stated. "We deal with the incident based on the evidence and the legal standing. Really, it's not a moral judgment, it's an evidential judgment on what the law says."
The case has sparked divided public opinion, with some online commentators praising the teenagers as "heroes" while others expressed horror at the brutality of the attack. The jury was not informed that Mr Cashford was wearing an electronic ankle tag at the time of his death, having previously been convicted of stalking a 24-year-old woman.
Sentencing and Reflections
Adjourning the case for pre-sentence reports, Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb told the defendants: "These verdicts will change their lives forever." She added: "There was a man, Alexander Cashford, who died, and we also bear in mind that tragedy."
The teenagers, who were on holiday in Leysdown from London, will be sentenced at a later date. The case highlights the devastating consequences when vigilantism replaces legal process, ending one man's life and altering three young lives irrevocably.