Ex-Wife of Suffolk Strangler Demands Police Leave No Stone Unturned
Suffolk Strangler's Ex-Wife Demands Full Police Investigation

Ex-Wife of Suffolk Strangler Demands Police Leave No Stone Unturned

Diane Cole, the former wife of convicted serial killer Steve Wright, known as the Suffolk Strangler, has spoken exclusively about her chilling premonitions before his arrest and is now calling for a comprehensive police investigation into all his potential victims.

Now 71 and living in a bungalow, Cole recalls with remarkable clarity the moment she learned through television news in 2006 that her ex-husband was responsible for the murders of at least six women in Ipswich. "I took it quite calmly," she reveals, "because it was like I expected it. It was just intuition. I think I was relieved."

Premonitions Before the Arrest

Cole describes having strong premonitions the day before Wright's capture. The nation was gripped by the killings of five sex workers during a 40-day reign of terror in Ipswich's red light district. "I had a premonition the day before he was caught," she says. "It was big news that five women had been killed and it was all over the telly. But then they wrongly arrested Tom Stevens."

When news broke of Tom Stevens' arrest on December 18, 2006, Cole immediately sensed an error. "I said to my friend Mary; 'Oh no, I think they've got the wrong man'. I put my hands over my face and said; 'ignore me Mary my husband lives in London last I heard'." Wright was arrested the following day, December 19, 2006, during a dawn raid on his Ipswich home.

Life with a 'Monster'

Cole met Wright while working as a shop dresser on the luxury liner QE2. Even during their early courtship, she detected a "sense of evil" about him. "I was always attracted to the dodgy fellas," she admits with a sigh. They married in 1987 and ran a pub together in Norwich's red light district, where Cole suffered repeated beatings at his hands.

She describes Wright as constantly "disappearing" during their marriage, behavior she initially attributed to an affair with a barmaid but now fears was connected to his predatory activities. "He just used to ignore me when I was talking about these girls who had been killed and he'd disappear out of sight," she recalls.

Escape and Hiding

The marriage ended acrimoniously, with Wright leaving Cole with nothing. She returned to the northeast, changed her name, and went into hiding. "I wanted nothing to do with him. He made my skin crawl in the end because of the violence. He was a bully, a control freak," she states.

Only after Wright's 2008 conviction and full life tariff sentence did Cole feel safe enough to emerge from the shadows and share her story. She has consistently warned that there may be more victims beyond the confirmed cases.

Unanswered Questions and Families Without Voices

Cole emphasizes that every aspect of Wright's life should be thoroughly investigated. "Every worker who knew Wright and missing Suzy when they worked together on the QE2 should have been tracked down and spoken to. Every pub he ever ran should have been checked out," she insists.

Her call for action is underscored by the case of Kurtis Pratt, now 30, whose mother Kellie vanished when he was a toddler and whose body has never been found. Astonishingly, Pratt has never spoken to a police officer about his mother's disappearance. "How can that be possible?" Cole demands. "The police have to give these families a voice."

Cole remains willing to speak with police about her experiences and suspicions regarding Wright. "No stone should be left unturned for the sake of families who are still waiting for answers," she asserts, urging authorities to pursue every lead for the sake of victims' families who continue to seek closure.