Starmer's Premiership Remains Secure Despite Mounting Mandelson Scandal Pressure
A senior Cabinet minister has insisted that Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer's leadership position is completely safe, despite growing anger within Labour ranks over the ongoing Peter Mandelson scandal. Steve Reed, a close political ally of Sir Keir, argued forcefully that the Prime Minister had been deliberately misled by the disgraced peer regarding the true extent of his connections to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
"Taken At His Word": The Defence of Starmer's Judgment
Mr Reed presented a detailed defence on Thursday morning, stating that Sir Keir was not personally "at fault" in the controversial appointment of Lord Mandelson as UK ambassador to the United States. The minister claimed the peer had systematically deceived everyone about his relationship with Epstein, describing it as "next to nothing" during the vetting process.
"You're only as good as the information you receive," Mr Reed emphasised during media interviews, shifting blame toward established vetting procedures rather than the Prime Minister's decision-making. He maintained that the appointment was made based on Mandelson's substantial political experience as former EU trade commissioner and UK business secretary, with vetting failing to uncover contradictory evidence.
Growing Labour Rebellion Demands Accountability
Despite these assurances, significant discontent continues to simmer among Labour backbenchers, with many directing their anger toward the Prime Minister's chief of staff, Morgan McSweeney. Numerous MPs believe Mr McSweeney bears responsibility for pushing through Mandelson's diplomatic appointment despite awareness of his continued dealings with Epstein after the financier's conviction.
One anonymous Labour MP told the Press Association that Mr McSweeney "needs to go, he's a total liability and like Mandelson is only interested in himself." The parliamentarian added pessimistically: "I think the PM doesn't have much time left and sadly, he has nobody but himself to blame."
Parliamentary Pressure Forces Document Release Concession
The Government faced substantial rebellion on Wednesday, led by former deputy prime minister Angela Rayner, forcing a retreat on controlling potentially explosive documents related to the appointment decision. Downing Street ultimately ceded authority to Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee to determine what materials could be released publicly.
Paula Barker, Labour deputy chairwoman of the Standards and Privileges Committees, criticised Sir Keir's "questionable" judgment while stopping short of demanding his resignation. Regarding Mr McSweeney, she told BBC's Today programme: "When your chief of staff becomes the story, then often it's time for them to go."
Cross-Party Criticism Intensifies Political Crisis
Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch predicted that document publication would reveal "terrible decision-making and bad judgment" by the Labour Government, suggesting Sir Keir would face escalating trouble. Meanwhile, Reform UK leader Nigel Farage described the scandal as "the biggest in British politics for over one century," surpassing even the Profumo affair of the 1960s in significance.
Hull Labour MP Karl Turner warned the Prime Minister was in a "crisis situation," suggesting that continuing with advisers providing "shoddy advice" could force Sir Keir to "make a decision about his future at some point soon." Former shadow chancellor John McDonnell went further, declaring Sir Keir had "lost all sense of judgment" and should be replaced by a caretaker leader.
Economic Repercussions and Ongoing Investigations
The political uncertainty has begun affecting financial markets, with sterling dropping 0.4% against the US dollar and 30-year government bond yields reaching two-month highs. Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police has requested document publication delays to avoid compromising their investigation into whether Mandelson passed confidential government information to Epstein.
Lord Mandelson has resigned from the House of Lords, left the Labour Party, been removed from the Privy Council, and now faces criminal investigation following revelations from US authorities. Sir Keir attempts to refocus attention with a speech on community regeneration in East Sussex, but questions about the scandal continue to dominate political discourse.
Mr Reed concluded his defence by stating unequivocally: "The person at fault here is not the Prime Minister or his team. It is Peter Mandelson, who lied, manipulated and deceived everybody." He confirmed that vetting procedures would be thoroughly reviewed while maintaining that both Sir Keir and Mr McSweeney remain secure in their positions despite the escalating controversy.