Senior Downing Street Staff Depart as Starmer Faces Leadership Questions
Sir Keir Starmer's communications director, Tim Allan, resigned on Monday, marking the second senior departure from Number 10 within 24 hours. Allan, a former adviser to Sir Tony Blair, stepped down after just five months in the role, stating he wanted to allow a "new team" to take over in Downing Street. His exit follows the resignation of chief of staff Morgan McSweeney, who advised the Prime Minister to appoint Lord Mandelson as US ambassador.
Fourth Communications Director Lost in 19 Months
This development means Sir Keir has now lost his fourth communications director and second chief of staff since winning a landslide victory 19 months ago. The rapid turnover of senior aides has prompted serious questions about the future of National Security Adviser Jonathan Powell, who also recommended Lord Mandelson for the ambassador role. Powell, Sir Tony Blair's former chief of staff, is said to have backed the disgraced New Labour architect, raising concerns about whether he should remain in his position.
In his resignation speech, Mr McSweeney stated that for those close to the process, the "only honourable course is to step aside." There are also suggestions that Cabinet Secretary Chris Wormald could step down amid concerns about his performance and delivery capabilities.
Background and Concerns Over Allan's Appointment
Tim Allan was appointed executive director of communications in Downing Street just one week before Lord Mandelson was sacked last September. He had previously worked for 15 months when Tony Blair was Prime Minister. However, there are lingering concerns that compromising messages between the two New Labour veterans might emerge, adding to the controversy surrounding his brief tenure.
Announcing his departure, Allan said: "I have decided to stand down to allow a new No 10 team to be built. I wish the PM and his team every success." He later changed his WhatsApp profile picture to "Out of Office – Gone Golfing," a move that some interpreted as a lighthearted farewell but others saw as indicative of the turmoil within the administration.
Downing Street Response and Political Fallout
The statement was released after Sir Keir addressed staff in Downing Street and vowed to continue in his role. Unusually, the Prime Minister did not pay tribute to his communications chief or thank him for his service, leaving many unaware that Allan had actually quit. A spokesman for the Prime Minister did not deny that Mr Allan had been sacked and offered no explanation for what he meant by allowing a "new team" to be built.
When asked if this indicated more resignations were imminent, the spokesman pointed to the appointments of Vidhya Alakeson and Jill Cuthbertson as acting chiefs of staff. The spokesman was forced to reject suggestions from journalists that Downing Street is "in chaos" due to the volume of staff who have departed since July 2024.
The Conservative Party seized on the developments, claiming that staff were fleeing like "rats abandoning the sinking ship that is Keir Starmer's premiership." This criticism highlights the political vulnerability that such high-profile departures create for the Labour government.
Allan's Career and Controversial Return
A New Labour veteran, Tim Allan began his political career as a researcher to Sir Tony Blair in 1992 and later became deputy director of communications to Alastair Campbell. He left in 1998 to become head of public relations for BskyB before establishing the leading reputation management firm Portland in 2001, selling his majority stake in 2012.
His return to Downing Street came more than 25 years after leaving Sir Tony's government, despite concerns over his previous work to help improve the Kremlin's image. During his short tenure, Allan implemented several changes, including cancelling afternoon lobby meetings run by political journalists and inviting social media influencers to press conferences.
Pattern of Instability in Key Roles
Previous holders of the communications director post include Steph Driver, who quit in September after Mr Allan became her boss, James Lyons who left earlier that month, and Matthew Doyle who resigned in March 2025. Mr McSweeney succeeded Sue Gray, who left the role in October 2024 just months after Labour won the general election.
This pattern of rapid turnover in critical positions has led to increased scrutiny of Sir Keir Starmer's leadership and the overall stability of his government. The consecutive departures of senior figures within such a short timeframe have created an impression of disarray that the Prime Minister will need to address urgently to restore confidence in his administration.