Israeli Prosecutors to Charge Settler in West Bank Killing of Palestinian Activist
Israeli Settler to Face Charges in West Bank Activist Killing

Israeli Prosecutors Move to Charge Settler in West Bank Killing

Israeli prosecutors announced on Monday their intention to charge a Jewish settler in the killing of Palestinian activist Awdah Hathaleen during a confrontation in the occupied West Bank that was captured on video. This development represents an unusual prosecution of violence by settlers in the territory, where such cases rarely proceed to court.

Video Evidence and the Case of Awdah Hathaleen

The death of Hathaleen in July has garnered significant attention, partly due to his involvement in the 2025 Oscar-winning documentary "No Other Land," which documented Palestinian villagers' struggles to remain on their land. The case is further distinguished by video footage from multiple angles showing the confrontation between Palestinians and settler Yinon Levi, who is under international sanctions.

In one video, believed to be filmed by Hathaleen himself, Levi is seen firing toward the camera holder. Another clip shows Levi firing two shots, though the impact points are not visible. Despite this evidence, an Israeli judge released Levi from custody six months ago, citing insufficient proof that his shots caused Hathaleen's death.

Legal Proceedings and Family Reactions

Israel's State Attorney General's office confirmed in a statement that it has initiated proceedings to indict Levi, without specifying the exact charges. Eitan Peleg, attorney for Hathaleen's family, stated that prosecutors plan to charge Levi with reckless homicide, initiating a process that allows Levi to contest the charges before formal filing.

"Enforcement of the law in cases like this involving Palestinians in the West Bank is very rare, so this is unique," Peleg told The Associated Press. Khalil Hathaleen, the victim's brother, expressed relief that justice is being pursued but argued that the charge of reckless homicide is inadequate. "It was an intentional killing in broad daylight, with prior intent and premeditation," he asserted.

Context of Settler Violence and International Scrutiny

Attacks by settlers and home demolitions by Israeli authorities have surged dramatically over the past two years. Palestinians and human rights groups allege that authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers or hold them accountable for violence. Under National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, investigations into settler attacks have plummeted, according to the Israeli rights group Yesh Din.

More than 3.4 million Palestinians and 700,000 Israelis reside in the occupied West Bank and east Jerusalem, territories captured by Israel in 1967 and claimed by Palestinians for a future state. The international community widely views Israeli settlement construction in these areas as illegal and a barrier to peace.

Video Evidence and the Confrontation Details

Video released by B'Tselem, an Israeli human rights group, shows Levi firing a gun toward the person filming. At the moment Hathaleen is said to have collapsed, the footage becomes shaky, but moans of pain are audible. The group obtained the video from Hathaleen's family, who claim he recorded it.

Additional footage obtained by the AP depicts Levi waving a pistol during a standoff in Umm al-Khair over an excavator that had rolled from a nearby settlement, damaging Palestinian property. Alaa Hathaleen, a cousin who filmed the encounter, stated he approached Levi to inform him the group was unarmed and to halt the bulldozing. In the video, insults are exchanged, and Levi fires shots, though the bullet impacts are not shown. Relatives reported seeing Awdah Hathaleen fall immediately after the shots.

Broader Implications and Recent Developments

Levi was previously detained and placed under house arrest before being released. He was among Israeli settlers sanctioned by the United States and other Western countries in 2024 over allegations of violence toward Palestinians, though President Donald Trump lifted U.S. sanctions the following year.

Activists and crew members from "No Other Land" report that settler attacks have intensified in the village depicted in the film since its Oscar win. Hamdan Ballal, one of the directors, said his family home in Umm al-Khair was attacked on Sunday, resulting in four relatives' arrests.

Concurrently, Israel announced it would resume a land registration process across the West Bank, requiring proof of ownership documents. Rights groups warn this could dispossess Palestinians of land they have lived on for generations, transferring vast areas to Israeli state control. The move has drawn condemnation from countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt, which called it a "flagrant violation" of international law that escalates regional tensions.