Melania Trump Documentary Faces UK Cinema Struggles with 'Soft' Ticket Sales
The authorised documentary about former US First Lady Melania Trump is encountering significant challenges in UK cinemas, with advance ticket sales described as "soft" by one of the country's largest cinema operators. The film, which secured a wide release across more than 100 venues, is competing against a diverse slate of new releases during a crowded period for exhibitors.
Disappointing Advance Figures Across Key Locations
According to industry reports, ticket sales for the documentary have been particularly sluggish. At Vue's flagship Islington branch in London, just one ticket had been sold for the first Friday afternoon screening, with only two booked for the evening showing. Meanwhile, all seats remained available for 28 screenings scheduled at Vue branches in Blackburn, Castleford, and Hamilton.
The picture was only marginally better at other locations. Cineworld's Wandsworth cinema had sold four tickets, while five backrow seats were booked at their Broughton venue. These figures represent a concerning start for a film receiving such extensive theatrical distribution, particularly when most documentaries typically receive limited releases across approximately 25 venues.
Exhibitor Strategy and Public Reaction
Tim Richards, Chief Executive of Vue International, confirmed the disappointing performance while defending the decision to screen the film. "I have told everyone that, regardless of how we feel about the movie, if it is BBFC approved we look at them and 99% of the time we will show it," Richards told the Telegraph. "We do not play judge and jury to censor movies."
Richards revealed he had received considerable criticism from members of the public regarding Vue's decision to screen the documentary. Industry analysts have suggested the wide release may be explained by a "four-walling" strategy, where distributors pay cinemas a set fee to screen a title regardless of ticket sales, rather than the traditional revenue-sharing model.
Production Background and Marketing Push
Amazon MGM Studios acquired the documentary rights for $40 million (£30 million), with reports indicating a substantial portion went directly to the subject. The studio is investing an additional $35 million in a global marketing campaign that has primarily focused on the United States market through television spots, billboards, and a takeover of Las Vegas's immersive Sphere venue.
The film documents the twenty days preceding Donald Trump's return to power in January 2025 and received a White House screening last Saturday. Its official premiere is scheduled for Washington's Kennedy Center, which the president has controversially renamed the Trump-Kennedy Center, before its international release across 27 countries.
Documentary Performance Context and Comparisons
Initial US projections for the documentary have varied significantly. Boxoffice Pro estimated opening weekend takings between $1-2 million, while the National Research Group recently revised this upward to $5 million domestically. These figures pale in comparison to documentary successes like Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, which earned $24 million in its first weekend back in 2004.
UK projections remain difficult to establish beyond extrapolations from the poor advance sales. The documentary's extensive rollout means that even if audiences eventually materialise, the per-screen average is likely to be embarrassingly low. Recent documentary releases provide context: Prime Minister, about former New Zealand leader Jacinda Ardern, earned £33,000 across 28 UK screens in December 2025, while Becoming Victoria Wood made £21,000 on its opening weekend across 23 screens earlier this month.
Production Involvement and Controversial Director
Melania Trump serves as an executive producer on the project, with her involvement reportedly extending throughout production, post-production, and marketing campaigns. According to the president's agent and senior adviser Marc Beckman, "She built that trailer. She created the cliffhanger, she selected the music. Same thing with the ad campaign that we're seeing worldwide now in almost 30 countries."
The documentary marks director Brett Ratner's first project since facing multiple accusations of sexual misconduct in 2017, which he denied and resulted in no charges. Ratner, best known for the Rush Hour franchise, recently received approval for a fourth instalment after Donald Trump publicly called for the series' revival.
Despite the disappointing UK advance sales, Donald Trump has promoted the film enthusiastically on social media, posting photos from the White House screening and declaring it "a MUST WATCH" with tickets "selling out, FAST!" – claims that contrast sharply with the actual sales figures emerging from British cinemas.