Channel Nine's Jonathan Kearsley Departs for Sky News After 14 Years
Jonathan Kearsley leaves Channel Nine for Sky News

In a significant move within Australian broadcast journalism, Channel Nine presenter Jonathan Kearsley is departing the network after 14 years. He has accepted a new role with Sky News Australia, a shift confirmed by Nine's executive leadership this week.

A Career Move After Over a Decade

Kearsley, who first joined the Nine Network back in 2011, has been serving as their US correspondent since August 2022. His departure was confirmed on Monday by Fiona Dear, Nine's executive director of news and current affairs. She expressed the network's sadness at his exit but respect for his decision, extending best wishes to him and his family.

'While we're sad to see him go, we respect his decision and wish him and his family all the best,' Dear stated in an announcement covered by industry publication Mumbrella.

Sky News Strengthens US Political Coverage

Sky News Australia has actively recruited Kearsley to enhance its American political reporting. A spokesperson for the network indicated the appointment is strategic, aiming to fortify coverage during what is anticipated to be a critical period in US politics.

'[This] strengthens Sky News' coverage of what promises to be a pivotal year in American politics ahead of the upcoming 2026 Midterm Elections,' the spokesperson said.

To accommodate the new hire, Sky News has repositioned its current US-based reporter, Annelise Nielsen, into a newly created role as Washington analyst. Kearsley brings almost two decades of media experience to the position, having previously worked for notable outlets including BBC News and WIN Television.

Another Veteran Exit from Nine

Kearsley's departure follows another high-profile exit from Channel Nine late last year. In November, long-serving 9News Melbourne weather presenter Livinia Nixon revealed she was stepping back from her role after two decades.

Nixon, who first joined Nine in 1997 and became the city's weather presenter in 2004, signed off on November 18. She explained her decision was driven by a desire to focus on her family as her sons enter their senior high school years.

'After 20 years presenting weather on 9News, I've decided to step back from this role,' Nixon said. 'My sons will both be in high school and I want to be there to support them.'

However, Nixon will remain with the Nine Network, continuing her presenting duties on travel programmes Getaway and Postcards. Nine's National News Director Hugh Nailon praised her lengthy contribution, describing her as a 'shining star' of the industry.

These personnel changes highlight the ongoing evolution within Australian television news, as networks recalibrate their talent and strategic focus ahead of major upcoming political events.