Three-Year-Old Boy Gives Harrowing Evidence in Nursery Abuse Trial
A mother has described being horrified after her three-year-old son gave a chilling account of alleged sexual abuse by a nursery worker. The boy's testimony was heard at Bristol Crown Court in the trial of Nathan Bennett, a 30-year-old former nursery employee.
Detailed Allegations from a Toddler
The court watched video evidence of an interview with the young boy, referred to as Child E, who described being sexually assaulted by Bennett in the toilet area of the nursery. Then I turned around and he was gone, the boy stated during the recorded interview. When questioned if similar incidents had occurred more than once, he replied More but only two times.
During the interview, the boy played with playdough while answering questions. He confirmed he had not told anyone about what had happened until speaking with his mother. The court heard how the boy had been shown a video explaining the difference between truth and lies before his interview began.
Mother's Heartbreaking Account
The child's mother told jurors how her son first disclosed the abuse while she was helping him use the toilet at home. I don't like it, it makes me sad, the boy told her according to her testimony. Obviously I was horrified, she told the court.
The mother described how her son identified Bennett as the man with the watch, referencing a smart watch that Bennett wore at the nursery and would let the child play with regularly. She said her son was sad and quiet during their conversation about the alleged abuse.
Prosecution's Case Against Bennett
Nathan Bennett denies 11 charges relating to his time working at the nursery, including:
- Two charges of raping a child under 13
- Four charges of sexual assault of a child under 13
- Two charges of assault of a child under 13 by penetration
- Three charges of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child
Prosecutor Virginia Cornwall described the case as every parent's worst nightmare. The court heard that Bennett had previously pleaded guilty to 13 other charges involving five children aged two or three. According to the prosecution, these guilty pleas demonstrate Bennett had an admitted sexual interest in pre-school boys.
Nursery Closure and Investigation
The court learned that a safeguarding concern was raised about Bennett in early February last year. He was immediately sent home on February 26 after nursery manager Victoria Tutton allegedly witnessed him on CCTV putting his hand down the trousers of a child. The nursery subsequently closed after police launched their investigation.
Bennett, who is from Bath, had started working at the nursery in July 2024 and had previous experience working in other pre-school settings. The prosecution suggested he was able to exploit a sexual interest through his employment as an early years practitioner.
Ongoing Trial Proceedings
Judge William Hart told jurors he had decided there was no evidential value in cross-examining the child witness, but clarified this did not mean Bennett accepted what the boy alleged. It is recorded evidence of a very small child, the judge added.
The mother's testimony revealed additional concerning details about Bennett's relationship with her family. She told the court she often saw photographs of her son sitting on Bennett's lap at the nursery and that Bennett had given the family his phone number, saying he would like to do some babysitting for us. On one occasion, Bennett told her son love you as he was leaving the nursery.
The trial continues at Bristol Crown Court as the jury considers the evidence against the former nursery worker.