Afghan Migrant Claims 12-Year-Old Rape Victim 'Looked 23-24' in Court Testimony
Migrant Told Police Rape Victim 'Looked 23-24', Court Hears

A disturbing trial at Warwick Crown Court has heard how an Afghan migrant accused of abducting and twice raping a 12-year-old girl told police officers he believed the child was in her early twenties. Ahmad Mulakhil is facing multiple serious charges relating to an alleged attack on the young victim in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, on July 22 last year.

Graphic Allegations and Defendant's Claims

Prosecutors allege that Mulakhil targeted the child before raping and sexually assaulting her. The court also heard allegations that the girl was strangled by Mulakhil's friend, Mohammad Kabir, who is accused of intending to take her away for a sexual purpose. Both men are originally from Afghanistan and deny all charges against them.

In police interviews conducted on July 26 last year, Mulakhil made a series of controversial claims through an interpreter. He stated that kissing and sexual activity between him and the victim was "her desire that she wanted." The defendant told officers: "Because of the language barrier we couldn't understand each other that much."

Questionable Age Assessment and Consent Understanding

Mulakhil provided particularly troubling testimony regarding the victim's apparent age. When asked by police how old the girl had looked to him, he responded: "It could be 23-24 yeah. I didn't focus that much." He further claimed the girl had informed his friend she was 19 years old.

The court heard that Mulakhil told police he believed the age of consent was 19-20 and that the girl "was a bit older" and could have left if she wanted to. When specifically asked if he understood that someone aged 12 cannot legally consent to sex, Mulakhil answered: "It's understandable - no one will have sex with a 12-year-old."

Disturbing Account of the Alleged Attack

The girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, alleges that Mulakhil laughed and ignored her pleas to stop as he attacked her on a grassed area. Prosecutors claim the assault occurred after 24-year-old Kabir had initially chatted to the girl on a canal bridge and grabbed her around the neck.

Mulakhil made further concerning statements to police about the encounter. Claiming the girl had "insisted," he told officers: "I did not have experience in the past with a girl. She was agreed, I was agreed too. She was insisting and she was following me. She wasn't scared. She was following me with her own consent."

Charges and Court Proceedings

Ahmad Mulakhil denies child abduction, two counts of rape, two counts of sexual assault, and taking indecent photographs of a child. Regarding a charge of oral rape that he has admitted, Mulakhil told officers this was his first sexual encounter and claimed it had not involved the use of force or any threats.

Mohammad Kabir also denies intentional strangulation, committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence, and attempting to take a child. The jury has been shown CCTV evidence including images of both defendants in a supermarket the day after the alleged rape and by the park where the attack is said to have occurred.

The trial, which has heard detailed testimony from police interviews read to jurors by Crown barrister Daniel Oscroft, continues on Tuesday as the court examines these serious and disturbing allegations.