San Diego's Sandcastle Man Banned from Hotel Beach Over Mark Twain Quote
Sandcastle Sculptor Banned from Hotel Beach Over Twain Quote

Iconic Sandcastle Sculptor Banned from San Diego Hotel Beach Over Mark Twain Quote

Bill Pavlacka, a beloved sandcastle sculptor known as The Sandcastle Man, has been banned from the beach area of the iconic Hotel del Coronado in San Diego after nearly two decades of creating mini monuments on its sands. The 64-year-old artist received a letter earlier this month ordering him to stay away, which he attributes to a Mark Twain quote he inscribed on one of his castles.

The Offending Message and Hotel's Response

The controversial quote from American writer Mark Twain read: 'Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.' This message, along with other political inscriptions, led the hotel to issue a final warning. In a letter dated February 5, D. Bradley McPherson, the hotel's Director of Human Resources, informed Pavlacka that he was no longer welcome on hotel grounds due to conduct violating policies.

The letter referenced a Second and Final Warning issued on October 16, 2025, and outlined that Pavlacka must avoid physical contact with guests and ensure all sandcastle content remains neutral, free from political or controversial messages. It also stated that consuming alcohol was strictly prohibited, with McPherson citing a new incident involving alcohol consumption that resulted in a negative guest experience. Pavlacka denied this accusation when speaking with Fox5.

History of Creations and Public Support

Over the years, Pavlacka's sandcastles have featured quotes from notable figures such as Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln, as well as creations for religious holidays and to commemorate the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. He shared images of these works on social media, garnering a following. Speaking to Fox5, Pavlacka explained that the hotel began scrutinizing his castles last year, with the Twain quote being the final straw.

He said, 'One of the messages was I love democracy, another one was I love freedom of speech. It seems like we are between two military bases, it seems like that's an American message.' Despite the ban, public support has been strong. One resident told Fox, 'A lot of people are standing behind him and supporting him, it sounds like there might have been a misunderstanding.'

Moving Forward and Hotel's Statement

Pavlacka has since packed up his tools and moved to another area of the beach, north of the main lifeguard tower, where he continues to build his mini monuments. In a statement on social media, he expressed gratitude for the years of work, saying, 'After nearly two decades, Hotel del Coronado and I have parted ways. Building sandcastles in front of the hotel, and meeting guests from all over the world has meant everything to me. Although I was never an employee, I worked as an external contractor, and our relationship was mutually beneficial. I'm grateful for the many years I worked with them. While I'm saddened this chapter has ended, I'm excited for greater creative freedom ahead.'

When approached by the Daily Mail, Pavlacka declined to speak further, stating, 'I really appreciate all the people who are supporting my art.' The hotel confirmed the separation in a brief statement: 'We can confirm that Hotel del Coronado and The Sandcastle Man have parted ways effective February 5. We wish The Sandcastle Man continued success.'