Son Accused of Chasing Mother on E-Scooter Before Fatal Stabbing in Willesden
Son Accused of Stabbing Mother to Death in Willesden Bus Attack

Son Accused of Chasing Mother on E-Scooter Before Fatal Stabbing in Willesden

A man has been accused of chasing his mother on an e-scooter and fatally stabbing her in the back in front of horrified bus passengers in north-west London, a court has heard.

Najiib Raytaan, aged 25, is charged with murdering 50-year-old Amaal Raytaan on Pound Lane in Willesden on January 31. The Old Bailey was told that he pursued his mother from his flat while armed with a large knife, stabbing her in the back before following her on an e-scooter.

Details of the Alleged Attack

Prosecutor Nadeem Holland described how Ms Raytaan was seen running from her son's flat, with Raytaan chasing her while holding what was described as "a very large knife". She attempted to seek help by banging on doors in the building, but no one responded. A neighbour reportedly witnessed the defendant stabbing her in the back before she fled the scene on foot, leaving blood in the communal area.

The pursuit continued onto the streets, where Ms Raytaan approached a house and banged on the front door. Raytaan allegedly chased her around a car on the driveway, leaving smears of blood on a wing mirror. She then moved towards a stationary bus, where CCTV footage captured the defendant stabbing her in the back near the vehicle.

Witness Accounts and Emergency Response

Statements from the bus driver and passengers confirmed that several individuals witnessed the stabbing. Multiple 999 calls were made as the incident unfolded. After the attack, Raytaan reportedly left the scene on the e-scooter. Paramedics attended and made efforts to save Ms Raytaan's life, but she was pronounced dead at 4.34pm.

Raytaan, of Harlesden Road in Willesden, appeared at the Old Bailey charged with murder. He had been living in a flat provided by the local authority after reporting himself homeless upon returning to the UK from the Netherlands, where he was born.

Legal Proceedings and Police Statement

Judge Nigel Lickley, KC, remanded Raytaan in custody ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing scheduled for April 26. A provisional two-week trial date has been set for October 5.

Detective Chief Superintendent Luke Williams, who oversees policing for Barnet, Brent, and Harrow, commented on the case. "This is a tragic incident and our thoughts remain with the victim's family, friends and all those who have been affected," he said. "We know this incident was witnessed by several members of the public, many of whom have spoken to police and been offered wider support."

He added that the victim and suspect were known to each other, and authorities believe this was a targeted act of violence rather than a random attack. Anyone with information or concerns is urged to contact local officers or call 101 with reference 4731/31Jan.