Former Wallabies Star Digby Ioane Denied Bail Over Death Threats
Ex-Wallabies Star Denied Bail Over Death Threats

Former Wallabies star Digby Ioane has been denied bail after appearing in court on charges of allegedly making death threats. The 40-year-old faced Brisbane Magistrates Court via video link on Wednesday.

Charges and Allegations

Ioane has been charged with one count each of making threats and unlawful stalking, intimidation, or harassment involving threats of violence. Police allege Ioane threatened to kill a man on multiple occasions across a five-day period in April.

Court Proceedings

Ioane represented himself during the proceedings and told the court the alleged victim was involved in a 'massive deal' between Samoa and Israel. He claimed his mother owned significant land in Samoa and described her as the 'rightful queen of Samoa'. 'I'm just protecting her lands,' Ioane told the court.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Magistrate Anne Thacker raised concerns about Ioane's mental health following his statements. 'It does seem to me on reading the police allegations against him that there's a danger if he were to be released from custody, there's a danger that he won't behave appropriately with this person who's alleged to be the victim,' the magistrate said.

Mental Health Concerns

The court also heard Ioane has a minor criminal history and had been hospitalised for undisclosed reasons just prior to the hearing. Magistrate Thacker pointed to a persistent 'obsession' with the complainant when refusing bail. 'Until some better information about you is discovered and/or you are on medication, you are an unacceptable risk of reoffending,' she told Ioane.

Ioane was remanded in custody and the matter was adjourned until June. His brother Ioane Sagaga told the court the ex-rugby star had been struggling with his mental health.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration