American actor and director Timothy Busfield has vehemently denied allegations of child sexual abuse, asserting there is 'no proof' of any wrongdoing, following his arrest in New Mexico. The 68-year-old, known for his roles in 'thirtysomething' and 'The West Wing', faces serious charges related to incidents on a television set.
Arrest and Charges Filed
Busfield was taken into custody earlier this week after surrendering to law enforcement in New Mexico. The arrest came three days after authorities issued a warrant. He faces two counts of alleged criminal sexual contact with a minor and one count of child abuse. The accusations stem from his time directing three episodes of the Fox crime drama series, 'The Cleaning Lady', where he is alleged to have inappropriately touched two child actors.
Legal Team Fights Pretrial Detention
On Friday, Busfield's legal team filed a motion opposing the state's request to keep him detained before trial. In court documents, his attorneys argued the state's case is 'based on a story that has already collapsed under independent scrutiny'. They further claimed the prosecution offers 'no reliable proof' and relies on allegations from witnesses with 'documented histories of fraud and financial exploitation'.
The filing also stated the accusations are contradicted by a comprehensive studio investigation and refuted by other witnesses and objective risk assessments. 'The Constitution does not allow liberty to be forfeited on such a foundation. The state's motion should be denied,' the documents read.
Public Denials and Wife's Support
Busfield himself has directly addressed the claims. In a video from jail reported by TMZ, he said, 'I'm going to confront these lies. They're horrible. They're all lies, and I did not do anything to those little boys.' He vowed to fight the charges with his legal team, stating his belief that he would be exonerated.
His defence received prominent personal backing from his wife, actress Melissa Gilbert. In a letter to the judge, Gilbert pleaded for her husband's 'protection' while he remains in custody awaiting his next hearing. She described Busfield as her 'love, my rock, my partner' and praised his moral character, saying he has the 'strongest moral compass of any human I have ever known'.
Gilbert's letter detailed his positive influence on her family and his reputation on professional sets, where she claims he is often cited as a 'favourite director'. She concluded the emotional appeal by writing, 'Please, please take care of my sweet husband... I am relying on you to protect him for me.'
Busfield's attorney, Larry Stein, released a statement to Us Weekly reinforcing the denial. 'Tim Busfield denies the allegations in the criminal complaint and maintains they are completely false,' Stein said. 'As a voluntary step, he submitted to an independent polygraph examination regarding those allegations and passed.'
The actor made his first court appearance last Wednesday, the day after his arrest, and did not enter a plea. He is scheduled for a second hearing next week and will remain in custody until then. The case continues to develop as the court considers the arguments for and against pretrial detention.