Drake Declines Super Bowl Performance to Quash Kendrick Lamar Feud
In a surprising move that signals the end of a decade-long rivalry, Drake has reportedly declined an offer to perform alongside Grammy winner Bad Bunny at this year's Super Bowl. The decision appears strategically designed to avoid reigniting his bitter feud with fellow rapper Kendrick Lamar, which has simmered since 2013.
The Super Bowl Catalyst
The tension between these two music titans reached its peak during last year's Super Bowl, where Kendrick Lamar performed his diss track Not Like Us. The lyrics insinuated that Drake was a sexual deviant, prompting the Canadian star to file a defamation and harassment lawsuit against Universal Music Group. However, in October last year, a US District Judge dismissed the case, ruling that Kendrick's lyrics, including the line "certified pedophile," constituted legally protected opinion rather than factual statements.
Judge Vargas emphasized that the performance was an "artistic presentation" typical of rap battles, and listeners would not interpret the lyrics as factual claims. With this legal backdrop, many anticipated Drake might seek revenge during this year's Super Bowl, especially given the event's massive audience of 133.5 million viewers last year.
A Strategic Withdrawal
According to reports from US media outlets, Drake made the conscious decision to decline Bad Bunny's invitation to perform, effectively quashing the feud. An insider told The Sun: "He said no because he wants everyone to focus on his brother Benito. He wants Bad Bunny to enjoy the moment, to do his thing and to not have his moment surrounded by noise about any kind of revenge on Kendrick."
This move highlights Drake's desire to avoid overshadowing Bad Bunny's historic performance. Bad Bunny, who recently won Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards, will be the first artist to perform the Super Bowl halftime show entirely in Spanish. In a press conference, he expressed excitement, saying: "I know that the world is gonna be happy this Sunday. They're gonna have fun, they're gonna dance and they're gonna have a good time."
History of the Feud
The rivalry between Drake and Kendrick Lamar dates back to 2013, when Kendrick released his track Control. A lyric stating, "I got love for you all but I'm tryna murder you n*****," reportedly left Drake fuming. Speaking to Billboard that year, Drake downplayed the threat, saying: "It just sounded like an ambitious thought to me. I know good and well that Kendrick's not murdering me, at all, in any platform."
Despite this, Kendrick continued to poke at Drake, including during the BET Awards where he performed a lyric referencing "tucking a sensitive rapper back in his pyjama clothes." Drake later explained to Vibe magazine: "I never once said he's [Kendrick] a bad guy [or] I don't like him. I think he's a f***ing genius in his own right, but I also stood my ground as I should. And with that came another step, which then I have to realise I'm being baited and I'm not gonna fall."
Collaborative Past and Future Implications
Drake and Bad Bunny have a history of collaboration, having performed together in 2018 for Bad Bunny's breakthrough track MIA. This makes Drake's decision to step aside even more significant, as it prioritizes peace over potential spectacle. By declining the Super Bowl performance, Drake not only avoids fueling the feud but also allows Bad Bunny to shine during his milestone moment.
This strategic withdrawal marks a potential turning point in the music industry's most publicized rivalry. It demonstrates how high-profile artists can choose to de-escalate conflicts for the sake of artistic integrity and personal growth. As the Super Bowl approaches, all eyes will be on Bad Bunny's performance, while Drake's absence speaks volumes about his commitment to ending a decade of discord with Kendrick Lamar.



