Teenager Sentenced to Minimum 13 Years for Murder of 12-Year-Old Leo Ross in Birmingham
A 15-year-old boy has been sentenced to serve a minimum of 13 years in custody for the murder of 12-year-old Leo Ross in a random attack in Birmingham last year. The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to the murder last month and was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court on Tuesday.
Details of the Tragic Attack
Leo Ross was stabbed in the stomach as he walked home from his school in Yardley Wood on 21 January 2025. The attack occurred on a riverside path in Shire Country Park in Birmingham. The 12-year-old was taken to hospital but later died from his injuries. Police believe Leo had no connection to his attacker and was the victim of a completely random assault.
The 15-year-old defendant, who was 14 at the time of the killing, also admitted to multiple other violent offences in the days surrounding the murder. These included two counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent on 19 and 20 January, assault occasioning actual bodily harm on 21 January 2025 against other victims, and possession of a bladed article on the day he killed Leo.
Court Sentencing and Judicial Remarks
Justice Choudhury KC delivered the sentence, stating the teenager would serve a minimum term of 13 years in prison and would not be released unless the Parole Board deemed it safe to do so. The judge described how the defendant had been "engaged in a campaign of violence against several people" and noted that Leo's family were enduring a "living hell" as a result of their loss.
"Leo was an innocent schoolboy, who was just on his way to meet a friend in the park ... you stabbed Leo with a knife and left him to die. Leo was only 12 years old," Justice Choudhury told the court. "The devastation you have caused to so many lives is hard to comprehend and for those who knew and loved Leo, almost too great to bear. You have robbed Leo of his life and his future."
Family Impact Statements
Leo's mother, Rachel Fisher, read a powerful statement in court describing her son as "the most beautiful little soul." She expressed the profound loss her family has suffered, stating: "His life should have been just beginning but now he will never get to have his first job, his first car, get married or have his own children. I will never see my lovely boy get married or have a family of his own. I have lost everything I did have and would have with him."
Leo's father addressed his son's attacker directly, saying: "Look up man ... You killed my son." He added: "Leo was loved by everyone. Everyone said how special he was. He was the kindest little boy you could ever hope to meet."
Defence Arguments and Judicial Response
Defence barrister Alistair Webster argued in mitigation that the teenager has "formidable mental health problems" and a "repeated history of hearing voices." He stated the defendant had been diagnosed with childhood conduct disorder and ADHD, and had experienced suicidal thoughts.
However, Justice Choudhury addressed the defendant's mental state in his sentencing remarks, stating: "You knew and were aware of the consequences of your actions. You were thinking coolly and rationally." The judge also detailed how the teenager had assaulted several people, including elderly women, before the murder, noting: "The savagery required to inflict such injuries to a defenceless elderly lady is hard to comprehend."
The defendant denied two additional charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on 22 October 2024 and assault by beating on 29 December 2024 in relation to two other victims. These charges were ordered to lie on file.