Rochdale areas get £19.6m Pride in Place funding
Rochdale areas get £19.6m Pride in Place funding

Areas on the edge of Rochdale that have historically been overlooked for investment are set to receive almost £20m in government funding. The Pride in Place grant, worth £19.6m in total, will be paid over the next decade at just under £2m per year.

Council to accept funding

Rochdale council is expected to accept the funding at its next town hall meeting, with the money targeted at Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield. No spending plan has been drawn up yet, but early suggestions include tackling congestion, improving parking, creating new green spaces, enhancing local facilities and expanding maternity services.

At the meeting, councillors are also set to approve the Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield Neighbourhood Board, which will establish the spending proposal. The board includes local community figures, MP Paul Waugh, the council's regeneration boss Coun Daniel Meredith, and is chaired by Laura Rodwell of the M6 Theatre group.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Plan deadline and local skepticism

According to council documents, the board has until November 30, 2026 to submit a four-year plan to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. The plan is needed to unlock the funding, with £150,000 already granted by the government to form the board and generate the plan.

When the funding was announced last year, some locals were skeptical, as the areas have gone years without proper investment. Ken Whittle, who has lived and worked in the area for decades, said: “I’m very skeptical about this. People here are used to getting nothing. Something for the children will be good or a centre for the community to gather could work because, at the moment, that doesn’t exist. Social housing needs work so people can actually come in and have a home. We can’t let it go downhill any further. The hardest thing with this is that people are moving out because no one is doing anything with anything. There has been no investment really. Maybe this cash can change things, but it’s up to the community to do it properly.”

Another resident, Dinah Banks, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “I think people just get on with their own lives. Why bother, look at it, it’s got no life at the moment. I want to see better GP service and walk-in surgeries and not have to travel so far to get there. Maybe a proper community health service. But I won’t hold my breath.”

Next steps

Rochdale MP Paul Waugh has already held consultation events with locals to understand what they want. Once the new neighbourhood board and the government cash are formally accepted by Rochdale council’s cabinet on August 25, local views will shape how the future scheme looks.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration