A hosepipe ban has come into force for Wessex Water customers across parts of Bath, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, as forecasters warn of possible flooding from the first meaningful rain in weeks.
Ban details and drought context
The ban, which began on Tuesday, affects all of Wessex Water’s 1.4 million customers and is the first such restriction the company has imposed in 50 years, since the summer of 1976. The company cited increased demand during dry weather and longer-term weather forecasts as reasons for protecting resources.
More than 27 million people across England have now had hosepipe use restricted in their area. The move follows weeks of heatwaves and dry conditions that have left many areas facing water shortages.
Forecast rain and flood risk
The Met Office said some areas will have the “first meaningful rain for a long time” this week. Showers are expected on Tuesday in the north, particularly the North West, with another area of rain moving into the South West by evening, according to deputy chief forecaster Mike Silverstone.
“Thursday will be a day of heavy showers across much of the UK, while some of these will be heavy some areas will miss them altogether,” Silverstone said. “As some of these showers could be intense, there is a chance of some surface water flooding as the rain falls on very dry and hard ground.”
By Friday, conditions are expected to turn drier again through the weekend before more rain is forecast next week.
Impact of dry weather
The change comes after the UK’s fifth heatwave of the summer, during which the hottest day of the year was recorded at Kew Gardens, London, on Thursday when temperatures reached 38.1C. Fires have burned across the country following the hot and dry weather.
The forecast rain may bring some welcome relief to parched land and firefighters tackling wildfires, but it is unlikely to end widespread drought conditions that have put severe pressure on wildlife, farmers, transport, emergency services infrastructure and water resources.
The BBC reported that more than 8,000 South East Water customers across Kent have been affected by water supply issues, with some told it could be days before problems are resolved. The firm cited prolonged hot weather, high demand, recent pipe bursts and overnight power issues. Incident support manager Mike Pickard told the broadcaster: “It’s an ongoing challenge for us at the moment and we apologise sincerely to all affected customers.” He added: “Our team is exhausted and being pushed to limits to make sure water is running.”
Among the driest areas are Wisley in Surrey, which has recorded 61 consecutive dry days since June 17, and Heathrow in Greater London, with 55 consecutive dry days since June 23, according to Met Office data. Wildfires have ravaged parts of the UK, including a blaze in Stourbridge, West Midlands, that destroyed 19 homes. Several fire services have asked people to call 999 only for genuine emergencies. The National Fire Chiefs Council said 1,132 wildfires have been recorded across England and Wales in 2026 so far – a record high for the period. On Friday evening, millions in England and Wales received a mobile alert warning of a “very high risk of wildfires nationally”.



