Mass protest planned as dog owners fight back over beach ban
Mass protest planned as dog owners fight back over beach ban

A protest walk is being organised this weekend at a sandy beach where a third permanent dog ban has been put forward. Critics contend that excluding dogs from the most popular stretch of Rhos on Sea, Conwy, is disproportionate, undemocratic and would cause significant harm to the local economy.

Holidaymakers who enjoy visiting the beach with their pets have warned they will not come back should the proposal be approved. On social media, one distressed owner revealed she had recently relocated to the area solely because of its dog-friendly beaches.

Proposal and Previous Protests

The proposed ban, brought forward by Conwy Council, follows a previously abandoned attempt to bar dogs from a section of the beach in 2023, which sparked a mass demonstration involving around 2,300 dog owners, and a further protest that drew an estimated 1,500 people.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Conwy Council maintains that the exclusion zone outlined on this occasion, in front of Cayley Promenade, is "significantly smaller" than the one proposed three years ago. The local authority emphasised that "substantial areas" for dog walkers will remain nearby.

If passed, it will become the beach's third dog-free zone. The plans threaten to split a community in which not everybody is welcoming of dogs, particularly on beaches, reports North Wales Live.

Community Reactions

Online, grandparents voiced anger over the risk to children, while one resident declared that "no one wants to sunbathe on a dog toilet". The most recent demonstration against a dog-free beach zone is scheduled for Sunday, August 23.

Those wishing to take part are asked to gather by the clock at Happy Faces, adjacent to the Tourist Information Point in Rhos on Sea, at 4pm. Dogs are welcome but not required.

The march has been arranged by Conwy councillor Jo Nuttall, local member for Rhos on Sea. She said: "This beach is enjoyed by thousands of people and their dogs all year round. A permanent ban is disproportionately penalising responsible dog owners. Bring your placards and have your say."

Council's Position

Conwy Council stated that several potential sites were assessed for the dog ban, but it chose a stretch near Cayley Promenade as this represents the most "intensively used" portion of the beach. The decision followed a "collective agreement" amongst councillors representing both Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea, the local authority confirmed.

The council maintained that the proposed location would best serve the needs of dog owners, other beach visitors, and the "long-term enjoyment of the newly created beach". Dog owners found to be in breach of the ban could face fines of £100.

Conwy Council stated that, alongside the mess caused by dog fouling on prams, wheelchairs, shoes and clothing, significant health concerns are a primary driver behind the proposed ban. It referenced toxocariasis, a disease present in animal faeces which can be transmitted from dogs to humans, even via contaminated sand.

Children face the greatest risk, the local authority noted. "This is an entirely preventable health risk," it said. Fresh poo is not infectious for at least two to three weeks, meaning there is "no risk of catching toxocariasis whilst clearing up straight after a dog", it added.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration