The area around Dovestone reservoir has reopened to visitors after this summer's devastating wildfires, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) announced on Thursday, August 20.
A huge fire broke out near the Saddleworth beauty spot on July 11, with crews also battling a blaze at Swineshaw, near Glossop, which ignited several days later. At the same time, crews in Derbyshire battled another moorland blaze close to the village of Tintwistle, which forced the closure of the A628 Woodhead Pass. At their height, the area covered by both fires was said to be equivalent to 1,250 football pitches.
Closures and major incident
After the Dovestone blaze erupted, all car parks and footpaths were shut, with visitors ordered to stay away as Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) declared a major incident. Dozens of firefighters spent several weeks battling the blazes in tinder-dry conditions. The major incident was stood down on August 3, with crews remaining at the scene for several days afterwards. Last week, they also tackled another blaze near Holmfirth Road in Saddleworth, which was extinguished the following day.
'Encouraging signs of recovery'
The RSPB, which manages the Dovestone nature reserve with landowner United Utilities, said it was now safe for visitors to return and that there were 'encouraging signs of recovery' on the landscape, which offer 'hope for the future.'
In a post on their Dovestone Facebook page, they said: 'RSPB Dove Stone is reopening today, and we're delighted to welcome visitors back. Our car park is once again available.'
'This summer, we witnessed devastating wildfires that affected large areas of Dove Stone and neighbouring land. The scale of the fires was immense, with smoke plumes visible from space. Throughout this challenging period, our team worked side by side with the Fire and Rescue Service and other partners to help tackle the fires and bring them under control.'
'We're pleased to announce that, in agreement with the Fire and Rescue Service, it is now safe to reopen Dove Stone to visitors. While the impact of the wildfires has been heartbreaking, there are already encouraging signs of recovery. Fresh green shoots are emerging, wildlife is beginning to return, and areas of rewetted peatland across the reserve have survived the fire, offering hope for the future.'
Risk of wildfires not yet passed
They added: 'Although the reserve has reopened, the risk of wildfires has not yet passed. If you notice smoke, fire, or anything suspicious during your visit, please call 999 immediately. The site is also under a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) to help prevent new fires, so please do treat Dove Stone and other people with respect, and help us reduce the risk of fire by taking litter home.'
'Thank you for your patience, support, and understanding during this difficult time. We would love to welcome you back to Dove Stone and continue sharing and protecting the incredible wildlife and landscapes of Greater Manchester together.'



