The family of a mother who took her own life have launched a campaign to block off pedestrian access points to motorways. Emma Ramsden, 34, was found dead on the M621 on Friday, April 10, after gaining access to the motorway below a bridge.
The mum-of-two left her family home in Morley, Leeds, unnoticed at around 4.30am. Hours later, her family received the devastating news that she had been struck and killed by a car.
Family's plea for safer motorway bridges
Emma's mother, Lisa Ramsden, 57, said: "Nobody should have access to motorway bridges, and I honestly thought most of them were sealed. If someone wants to harm themselves, regardless, they’re going to do it, aren’t they? There should be campaigns to make it safer on motorway bridges. She was very bubbly but Emma but very private. A lot of people never knew she suffered with her mental health."
Lisa said Emma had been sectioned at age 13 due to an eating disorder. Emma's sister, Alicia Grailey, 14, aims to launch a campaign and petition to block off the access points.
Campaign 'Safe Before the Motorway'
Alicia plans to call her campaign 'Safe Before the Motorway' and hopes the community will support it. She said: "Help should always reach people before they reach the motorway. As a community, we can make a huge difference and save lives."
Speaking about her sister, Alicia added: "She could be quiet but she could be really bubbly and having a joke with people. She was really caring and a really good mum and friend to loads of people."
Alicia said: "I'm asking the community and other parts of the country to remember the name Emma Ramsden and her story because Emma had a life before this tragedy. Myself and my family want to try help prevent more suicides happening due to poor infrastructure."



