Novak Djokovic has revealed a long-standing health issue that could affect his stated plan to retire after the 2028 Olympics. The 39-year-old struggled in his first match back since Wimbledon at the Cincinnati Open, losing to Thiago Tirante.
Health issue emerges in Cincinnati defeat
Djokovic won the first set but appeared drained as he lost the next two sets 6-4, 6-4. During the match, he vomited into a towel and had his blood pressure checked during a medical timeout. After the defeat, he said the conditions were not the problem, but rather a health issue he has dealt with for many years.
“First and foremost, I congratulate my opponent today. Honestly, it hasn’t been a pleasant match for me,” Djokovic said. “That’s how I’ve felt. It hasn’t been the first time, and it won’t be the last. That’s just how it is.”
Health issue affects performance in heat and humidity
“The conditions aren’t the problem. It’s because of a health issue I have. I’ve been dealing with it for many years now,” he added. “It causes me a lot of problems, especially when there’s a lot of humidity and heat. I knew these conditions were going to affect me, but there are other things too: the nerves and everything that comes with a match like this. All of that makes the situation worse, and that’s what happened.”
Following the defeat, Djokovic suggested he might not return to Cincinnati: “It looks like I won’t be back, unfortunately to play here. It was a combination of the heat and humidity, all those things. Everything involved makes it worse.”
Retirement plan could change
Djokovic, who has won a record 24 Grand Slam titles, is still chasing a 25th major title. He is set to enter the US Open, where he will also team with Aryna Sabalenka in mixed doubles. The reigning Olympic champion has previously earmarked the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles as the perfect time to retire, when he will be 41.
“I’ve always had this throughout my life and my career, I’ve always had a schedule in my head for a year or more, what I want, how I want it,” Djokovic said in 2025 after winning the Hellenic Championship in Athens. “Since I’ve achieved absolutely all possible goals, I said about the 2028 Olympics because I wanted to play for so many more years. So maybe ending up at the Olympic Games with the Serbian flag, that would be nice.”
However, he cautioned that his plans could change: “I really don’t know. Because there are some things that are not entirely in my control. I’m trying to be as healthy as possible mentally and physically.”
His struggle in Cincinnati and acknowledgement of his health issue show these comments in a new light and demonstrate how his retirement plans could change over the next two years. It remains to be seen whether he will be able to return to his best at the US Open, with the first round beginning on August 30.



