The North Pier in Tynemouth, North Tyneside, was closed with immediate effect on Wednesday and visitors were evacuated by security after an act of vandalism.
Eight glass bricks in the pavement near the lighthouse were smashed, leaving broken glass on the ground. Port of Tyne said the vandalism has left the area unsafe for visitors and sensitive equipment supporting the navigation equipment on the lighthouse vulnerable. The estimated cost of the damage is around £20,000.
People were asked to leave the pier by security and the gates were closed by Port of Tyne officials. Port of Tyne said the North Pier will remain closed while the damage is assessed and the area is made safe.
Recent Reopening After Storm Damage
The North Pier was previously closed in October 2023 due to structural damage caused during Storm Babet. It reopened seven days ago after being restored as part of a £4.5 million project to repair both the North Pier and South Pier in South Shields.
Port of Tyne Response
Port of Tyne has described the vandalism as "disappointing". In a statement, Port of Tyne said: "We know how much the Pier means to our communities, and it has been fantastic to see so many people enjoying and respecting this iconic landmark since it reopened just a week ago. We'd like to thank everyone who has visited responsibly and helped make the reopening such a success. That's why it is particularly disappointing that the actions of a small number of individuals have impacted access for everyone else and caused significant damage to this much-loved local landmark."



