An 18-year-old with a sword allegedly attacked a school in central Sweden, leaving one person dead and at least two others seriously injured, a police chief said. The suspect was arrested following the attack at the school, which has about 400 to 500 students, northwest of Stockholm on Friday, August 21.
Attack during school hours
The sword attack was carried out while classes were in session. Police said that shots were fired during the arrest, however it is unclear whether the suspect had been injured. The suspect is being held in custody and not being treated in a hospital.
There was no immediate word on the alleged attacker's possible motive.
Investigation ongoing
"We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators," said Police Chief Tommy Alriksson, adding that an investigation was continuing. Sweden's national police said investigators have already carried out two house searches in connection with the suspect.
Many witnesses were expected to be interviewed as part of the investigation. "That's why we can't give out too much information, because we don't want to influence witnesses," the police chief said.
Victims and response
Vastmanland County, where the town is located, said the two seriously injured boys were between 12 and 17 years old, according to TT news agency reported. Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by TT, said an alarm was received in the early afternoon Friday.
Police cordoned off a wide area around the school and several nearby schools were placed in locked down following the incident and roadblocks were established. "We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively," said Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, in a post on X. "Our thoughts are with all those affected."
The Vastmanland County government said "many people" were affected and that police, fire services, and healthcare workers were among those caring for them.



