Investigation launched after man dies in Croydon police custody
Investigation after man dies in Croydon police custody

An investigation has been launched after a 52-year-old man died while in police custody in south London, the Metropolitan Police said.

The man had been arrested in Croydon on Wednesday afternoon after he failed to appear at Croydon Magistrates’ Court on charges of being drunk and disorderly, which led to the court issuing a no-bail warrant for his arrest, the force said.

Found unresponsive during cell checks

Officers were carrying out cell checks at Windmill Road custody suite in Croydon at 12.30am on Friday when they found the man unresponsive after he became unwell.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Police began first aid and paramedics from the London Ambulance Service (LAS) were called. Despite the best efforts of paramedics, the man was pronounced dead at 1.17am.

Referral to the IOPC

He had previously been seen by a healthcare professional and also received welfare and observation checks while in custody, the Met said.

The force’s Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which is now investigating.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner James Harman said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and loved ones following his tragic death.

“The full circumstances of this death in custody will now be independently examined and we are providing our fullest support to that IOPC investigation.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration