Daughters of Partick murder victim Paul Lafferty pay emotional tribute
Daughters of Partick murder victim pay tribute to dad

The daughters of a man murdered alongside his friend in a Glasgow flat have paid an emotional tribute to their father.

The bodies of pals Paul Lafferty, 50, and Gary Beaton, 54, were discovered inside Paul's home on Chancellor Street in Partick at around 4.40pm on Sunday, August 16. An alarm was raised by a family member who was unable to get in touch with the pair.

Police Scotland confirmed on Wednesday, August 19, that their deaths are being treated as a double murder. Investigators then confirmed they believe a knife has been involved in the killings - it is understood the murder weapon has not been found yet.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Daughters' tribute to their father

Writing on social media in the wake of her dad Paul's death, Cerys Lafferty said: "I will love and miss you every single day for the rest of my life."

Paul's other daughter, Jade Lafferty, added: “I’ll love you for life, lifetimes.”

Speaking to the Record, Detective Superintendent Cheryl Kelly of Police Scotland's Major Investigations unit revealed the force believed that a knife was involved in the murders. She also noted that the Major Investigation Team was being supported by local cops and forensic officers as they carried out extensive enquiries in the area.

Police appeal for information

DS Kelly said: "Firstly our thoughts are with the families of Paul Lafferty and Gary Beaton at this extremely difficult time. We are doing all that we can to help them get the answers. They are currently being supported by specialist officers.

"I am appealing directly to anyone with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they feel it may be, should come forward and speak to us. Please do not assume that the police already know the information you have.

"If they saw Paul and Gary, or if they know or if they've seen anything suspicious. It is vital we trace whoever is responsible and we are fully committed to doing this."

Officers have trawled hours of public and private CCTV footage as part of the investigation and door-to-door enquiries are also continuing. Nobody is currently in custody in connection but police are keeping an open mind about "what happened" and a possible "motive."

Community impact and police presence

Superintendent Craig Brady said: "I would like to extend my sympathies to the family and friends of Paul and Gary as they try to come to terms with their loss. We understand the significant impact this will have on the local community and I would like to thank everyone for their help so far.

"High visibility patrols remain in the area and there will be an increased police presence as the investigation continues. If anyone has any concerns, or information, please speak to officers."

A major police presence has been visible around Chancellor Street since the men were discovered. Images taken at the scene on Monday, August 17, showed a large cordon surrounding the flat block, with police tape stretching across the pavement, property and surrounding street.

Uniformed officers were stationed around the cordon while detectives carried out enquiries inside the property. Investigators were also seen leaving a taped-off flat carrying briefcases and bags of potential evidence.

Residents described their shock after the area was locked down by police. One local told the Record on Monday: "I've stayed on this street for years and I have never seen anything like this. I saw police dotted about last night and didn't think much of it. Now you can't move for them."

Another said: "I'm just so shocked. I can't believe this happened. You read about things like this online, you don't expect it to happen on your doorstep."

One resident said police had told them they could not leave their home while the investigation was taking place.

The families of the two men are aware. Police Scotland had urged anyone with information about the deaths to come forward. Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident number 1386 of Sunday, August 16, 2026, or speak to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A Major Incident Public Portal (MIPP) has been set up, which allows information to be submitted directly to them. This can be found here: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/SCOT26S16-PO1

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration