Investigation into Lewes train derailment finds track defect
Lewes train derailment probe finds track defect

An interim report by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has found that a rail track defect existed in the area where a train derailed in Lewes, East Sussex, last week, injuring 30 people.

CCTV images from preceding services on the line show the fault, which the RAIB described as a “track geometry irregularity”.

Details of the derailment

Preliminary analysis of the derailed train’s onboard data recorder shows it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment in Lewes at 3.54pm on August 13.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage Southern train from London Victoria to Eastbourne. Three carriages ended up on their side, trapping passengers.

Injuries and investigation

A total of 30 people were injured, including 20 who required hospital treatment, the RAIB said.

The RAIB said its investigation will consider the weather conditions on August 13, which were hot and sunny, as well as the status of the track, embankment, condition of the train and the effectiveness of any measures taken to address potential issues caused by hot weather.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration