Cape Verde Holiday Tragedy: TUI Customer Dies After Stomach Bug
Cape Verde Holiday Tragedy: TUI Customer Dies

Cape Verde Holiday Tragedy: TUI Customer Dies After Contracting Severe Stomach Bug

A British man has spoken of his profound heartbreak after his wife's dream holiday to Cape Verde ended in unimaginable tragedy, with the devastating outcome that she never returned home. Andy Pooley described how his wife Karen appeared to be in significant distress during her final days after falling ill while on the West African archipelago.

The Dream Holiday That Turned Into a Nightmare

Karen Pooley, aged 64, had eagerly anticipated her two-week getaway to Cape Verde, booking the £3,000 trip through the prominent tour operator TUI in October of last year. What was meant to be a relaxing escape quickly deteriorated when Karen developed severe gastric symptoms just four days into her holiday. The situation worsened dramatically when she slipped on water that had leaked from her accommodation's refrigerator the following day.

Her condition deteriorated so rapidly that she required urgent medical evacuation, being airlifted to Tenerife for critical care on October 16. Tragically, Karen passed away the following day, leaving her family shattered and searching for answers.

Family's Anguish and Communication Breakdown

Andy Pooley expressed his family's torment during those desperate final days, revealing that communication from both the medical clinic and the holiday provider was woefully inadequate. We were desperate for updates while watching Karen get worse, Andy told the Press Association. We're devastated and struggling to understand how she went on holiday and never came home.

The initial death certificate issued by Cape Verdean authorities listed multiple causes of death including organ failure, sepsis, cardio-respiratory arrest, and a broken leg. Karen's case represents one of several tragic instances where British holidaymakers have been struck down by serious gastric illnesses while visiting the islands.

Multiple Tragedies Prompt Legal Action

This heartbreaking incident forms part of a disturbing pattern that has seen four British tourists die within a four-month period after contracting similar illnesses in Cape Verde. The affected families have now launched personal injury claims for damages against TUI, seeking accountability and answers about what went wrong.

Jatinder Paul, a serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing some of the affected families, told Sky News: The number of holidaymakers to Cape Verde being struck down with serious and debilitating gastric illnesses is truly staggering. Nothing brings the gravity of this situation into sharper focus than these recent deaths.

Paul continued with particular concern: In my experience, I'm used to supporting holidaymakers who have fallen ill at resorts across the globe, but I've never seen repeated and continued illness outbreaks at the same resorts on such a scale over such a period of time.

Serious Concerns About Hygiene Standards

The legal firm has highlighted serious concerns about hygiene standards at Cape Verde resorts and has called for tour operators to collaborate more effectively with local authorities to ensure that proper safety and hygiene protocols are rigorously maintained and followed. While acknowledging that nothing can truly compensate for their loss, the families remain determined to establish what happened and prevent similar tragedies in the future.

A TUI spokesperson confirmed that the company is actively investigating the claims and emphasized that any customers who become ill while on holiday have access to appropriate care and assistance. The Mirror has reached out to TUI for further comment on these distressing developments.