Bury Interchange redevelopment plans include up to 80 new homes
Bury Interchange redevelopment to include up to 80 new homes

Major plans to completely redevelop Bury's transport interchange could also see new homes built. Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has unveiled its ambition to create scores of new homes on land between the interchange and Bury Market. It is now looking for a partner to help it bring its vision to life.

Up to 80 apartments planned

The scheme could see between 70 and 80 apartments built across an up to six-storey block. While TfGM initially advertised the scheme as fully affordable in its procurement notice, it has now said it is 'tenure agnostic'. The Local Democracy Reporting Service understands bosses' preference is still for affordable homes to be built there, but TfGM is open to a wider range of bids for the contract.

The project would 'support Bury council's wider regeneration and housing plans for the town centre', TfGM has said. Whoever wins the contract would be expected to take responsibility for arranging funding for the scheme, which could include securing grant funding. The precise details of the scheme would be ironed out through public consultation and the planning approval process, TfGM added.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Interchange upgrade details

It comes as Bury's interchange is set to be completely redeveloped into a 'modern, high-quality hub for buses, trams and active travel'. The first phase is expected to see the creation of a new pedestrian footbridge to the hub, offering a second access point to the tram platforms. It will span the tram lines from Union Square to Pyramid Park, which is also expected to see housing built on it. The new bridge will ensure passengers can still access trams when the interchange closes for its upgrade, TfGM previously said.

Improvements to the platforms themselves will also come in phase one with new canopies, resurfaced platforms, improved ticketing facilities, better passenger information displays, and upgraded lighting, signage and CCTV. This work is expected to begin later this year.

Future phases and carbon-neutral goal

Later work, which is still subject to final approval, would see a fully enclosed building created with a 'safe and secure' waiting area. The new interchange would also feature a multi-use quiet room, active travel hub with secure cycle parking, redesigned bus areas with improved access and fewer crossings, and space for retail and commercial uses. TfGM's ambition is for the new interchange to be the first operationally carbon-neutral transport hub in Greater Manchester.

Public consultation for phase two is expected later this year, with a planning application to follow. Work is hoped to start on phase two in 2028.

Chris Barnes, infrastructure delivery director at TfGM, said: "The redevelopment of Bury Interchange will transform the way people get to and from the town by creating a modern, high-quality transport hub at its heart. It also presents an exciting opportunity to build much-needed housing as part of the plans, contributing towards the wider regeneration of Bury town centre while supporting local and national housing policy by building more homes on accessible brownfield sites.

"We are currently in the process of procuring a partner to help bring this exciting element of the scheme forward. We encourage prospective residential funding organisations, who are interested in the project to put forward their proposals in the next few weeks."

The tender for the housing scheme is open for submissions until Friday, September 18.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration