FIFA has parted ways with chief operating officer Kevin Lamour after he publicly criticised Gianni Infantino's failed plans to sell stakes in the World Cup to private investors. The organisation confirmed the end of the working relationship on 17 August 2026, thanking Lamour for his two years of service.
Lamour's criticism of FIFA Forward Enterprise
Lamour, a long-term colleague of Infantino, had claimed that FIFA staff felt "deceived" over a lack of transparency from the president regarding the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) scheme. The proposal, which would have allowed private investors to buy stakes in the World Cup, drew widespread criticism, including a threat from UEFA to boycott the tournament. FIFA subsequently abandoned the plans.
Last month, Lamour also criticised the scheme, stating that staff "deserve better than contempt and intimidation."
Official statement and internal communication
A FIFA spokesperson said: "FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future."
According to Sky Sports, staff were informed of Lamour's exit on Monday evening, with a letter sent to FIFA vice presidents and council members from secretary general Mattias Grafstrom. The letter stated: "Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally."
The letter added: "Kevin joined FIFA in November 2024, and in this time has overseen a period of significant change, including improved relationships with stakeholders and the delivery of several significant projects of joint interest, amongst many other key achievements. You will have seen Kevin present in each FIFA Council meeting since his appointment in 2024, and many of you will have had a regular working relationship with Kevin on projects of various kinds since his joining FIFA. I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update, and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future."
Other executive departures
Lamour is not the only executive to have left FIFA recently. Carlos Cordeiro, who served as Infantino's senior adviser, resigned last month. He told Sky News: "As a senior adviser to the FIFA president, a former banker, and a lifelong football fan, I cannot stand by while FIFA considers selling a stake in the World Cup. Let me be clear: I had no involvement in this proposal, and I oppose it unequivocally. It is a bad deal for FIFA's member associations, a bad deal for football, and a bad deal for the long-term future of the game."



