Questions have been raised over who will pay for the security of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they prepare to return to the UK. Harry and Meghan are set to move into a non-royal residence just outside of London, as they will not be coming back as active royals.
Legal Costs and School Plans
Harry is also set to learn how much he will have to pay in legal costs in his High Court case against the Daily Mail's publisher. The couple are said to have enrolled their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, in British schools as they prepare for the move.
At this stage, it is unclear if taxpayers will be footing the bill for their security. The Sussexes' lack of public comment also means the exact reason for the relocation is unknown. When asked about this, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the funding for the couple was a "private matter".
Security Battle and Legal Proceedings
Since stepping down as a working royal in 2020, Harry has been embroiled in a legal battle with the Home Office over security arrangements. At the end of June, he was waiting for a Risk Management Board review to help the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) decide on the security he requires. The organisation, which includes the Home Office, Metropolitan Police, and Royal Household, advises an independent chairperson on what each individual needs.
Harry and six other famous names, including Sir Elton John and Baroness Doreen Lawrence, had their cases dismissed in last month's judgement. In the near future, Mr Justice Nicklin is set to give his decision on the size of an initial payment that the group will make to Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), with the court previously told costs were over £34 million.
Family Dynamics and Public Reaction
Harry and Meghan's decision to return to the UK was only told to King Charles three days before the news broke on Wednesday night. They left to move to California over six years ago, with the time in between marked by ongoing family fallouts. Places where they could settle include rural locations in the Cotswolds, in Oxfordshire, or Gloucestershire, amid speculation around their children's education, with both Archie and Lili expected to start at their new schools in early September.
There will be no photographs published of the children when they start school and on their birthdays, as is the case for working royals. Media outlets have been told by the press regulator not to reveal the location of the family's new home or the school the children attend. The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, however he is adamant that they will not be working royals, as there is not a half-in and half-out option. Prince William and Princess Kate are yet to react publicly to the news, with the future king 'estranged' from his brother.
The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, with Meghan running lifestyle brand As Ever from the new location. In a YouGov poll carried out the day after the news came out, 33% said the pair should not return, 45% said they did not know, and 21% were in favour of the move.



