Kick It Out Accuses Mourinho of 'Gaslighting' Over Vinicius Racism Remarks
Mourinho Accused of Gaslighting Over Vinicius Racism Comments

Kick It Out Accuses Mourinho of 'Gaslighting' Over Vinicius Racism Remarks

Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out has launched a scathing attack on Jose Mourinho, accusing the Benfica manager of gaslighting in his response to Vinicius Junior's allegations of racist abuse during a high-profile Champions League match. The incident occurred during Real Madrid's play-off fixture against Benfica in Lisbon on Tuesday, sparking widespread condemnation and debate across the football world.

The Controversial Incident and Mourinho's Response

The 25-year-old Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior left the field during the second half of the crucial Champions League encounter after reporting to the referee that he had been subjected to racist abuse by a member of the Benfica team. Spanish giants Real Madrid later identified the alleged perpetrator as winger Gianluca Prestianni, though this has been contested by the Portuguese club.

Mourinho has faced heavy criticism for suggesting that Vinicius had somehow provoked the abuse through his goal celebration after scoring what proved to be the match-winning goal early in the second half. Speaking to Amazon Prime, the former Chelsea and Manchester United manager made comments that have been interpreted as victim-blaming by many observers.

"I told him, when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back," Mourinho stated. "They told me different things. But I don't believe in one or another. I want to be an independent." The Portuguese coach then appeared to reference previous incidents where Vinicius has been targeted with racist abuse in stadiums across Europe.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho continued. "A stadium where Vinicius plays, something happens, always." These remarks have been widely condemned as suggesting that the player bears some responsibility for the racist abuse he endures.

Kick It Out's Strong Rebuke

Kick It Out responded with a powerful statement that directly accused Mourinho of employing gaslighting tactics in his comments about the incident. The anti-discrimination organisation emphasised the importance of supporting individuals who report discrimination in football or any other context.

"When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported," the charity declared. "Focusing on Vinicius Jr's goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting."

The statement continued with a warning about the broader implications of such responses: "This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations."

Kick It Out called for responsible leadership in football, stating: "Leaders in football have a crucial role in setting standards, and moments like these call for responsible leadership that reinforces respect, inclusion, and accountability." The organisation expressed hope for a thorough investigation into the incident with appropriate consequences based on the findings.

Widespread Condemnation from Football Figures

Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf, who was working as a pundit for the match broadcast, described Mourinho's comments as "a big mistake" that appeared to justify racial abuse. Speaking on Amazon Prime, the Dutch legend offered a pointed critique of the Benfica manager's remarks.

"I think he made a big mistake today to justify racial abuse," Seedorf stated. "He said wherever he goes these things happen, so he's saying it's OK when Vinicius provokes you, that is it OK to be racist and I think that is very wrong. We should never, ever justify racial abuse."

England and Real Madrid right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold offered strong support for his club teammate, describing the incident as "a disgrace to football" that had overshadowed what should have been a celebratory night following an important victory.

"Vini has been subject to this a few times throughout his career," Alexander-Arnold noted. "To ruin a night like this for our team is a disgrace. No place for it in football or society. It is disgusting."

The Match Aftermath and Conflicting Accounts

The match was paused for approximately ten minutes in accordance with UEFA's anti-discrimination protocols, though Vinicius ultimately completed the full game. The Brazilian forward later expressed frustration with how the protocol was implemented, suggesting it had been "poorly executed" and served little practical purpose.

In a passionate Instagram story posted after the match, Vinicius wrote: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are. But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish."

The forward added: "Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family's. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why." He expressed regret that the incident had overshadowed Real Madrid's victory but felt compelled to speak out about the abuse he had endured.

Benfica's only public statement on the matter came in the form of a video posted on social media platform X with the accompanying message: "As the images demonstrate, given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they are saying they heard."

Gianluca Prestianni, the Benfica player accused of making racist remarks, denied the allegations in a statement shared by his club on Instagram. "I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," he wrote. "I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

UEFA Investigation Underway

European football's governing body UEFA has confirmed that an investigation into the incident has been launched. A statement from the organisation read: "A UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025/2026 knock-out play-off match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF on 17 February 2026."

The statement continued: "Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course." This investigation represents the latest chapter in UEFA's ongoing efforts to combat racism in European football, though critics argue that previous incidents involving Vinicius have not resulted in sufficiently strong sanctions against offending clubs or individuals.

The controversy has reignited debates about how football authorities, clubs, managers, and players respond to incidents of racism in the sport, with many calling for stronger action and more consistent support for victims of discrimination.