Rory McIlroy is edging closer to a historic achievement at the Masters, aiming to become only the fourth golfer ever to successfully defend the title at Augusta National. The 36-year-old Northern Irishman, who began Friday as a joint-leader with Sam Burns, delivered a stunning second-round performance, scoring an astonishing seven-under-par to seize a commanding six-shot lead at the halfway point.
McIlroy's Controversial Comments Spark Culinary Backlash
Before the tournament commenced, McIlroy hosted the prestigious Masters Champions Dinner on Tuesday, but his remarks about Irish cuisine have ignited a wave of criticism. When questioned about his menu choices, he told reporters, "People keep asking me, 'Why didn't you go more Irish?' And I said, 'Because I want to enjoy the dinner as well.'"
The Irish Independent gathered rebuttals from several culinary experts, including TV chef and food stylist Erica Drum. She suggested alternatives like Irish beef, fish, potatoes, and cheeses, stating, "He didn't need to do that. I feel like he just hasn't experienced good food." This backlash adds an unexpected layer of drama to McIlroy's pursuit of golfing glory.
Jack Nicklaus' Blunt Advice for McIlroy's Title Defence
As McIlroy strives to emulate legends like Jack Nicklaus, Nick Faldo, and Tiger Woods by winning back-to-back Masters, he has shared the candid advice received from the six-time champion. In an interview with CBS Sports' Amanda Balionis, McIlroy relayed Nicklaus' message: "No f–ing double bogeys. Apparently, he thought I made too many last year."
Nicklaus, who defended his Masters title in 1966, elaborated on his guidance, predicting that McIlroy would play with greater composure after his previous victory. "When he won the Masters here last year, he now doesn't have anything more to accomplish. He won the Grand Slam, won all the majors. But he's got a lot more to prove. He's still a young guy," Nicklaus remarked. "He's a great player. The remark I made to him yesterday was that Rory always makes double bogeys or triple bogeys here, which puts him out of the tournament. But maybe now that you've won it, he's a little bit more relaxed and he's now ready to go prove a little bit more."
Robert MacIntyre's Frustrating Exit and Controversial Gesture
The midway point also marked the end of the Masters for several top contenders, including Scottish golfer Robert MacIntyre, who missed the cut after finishing on seven-over. The 29-year-old had previously caused a stir during his opening round when cameras captured him making a middle-finger gesture toward the 15th green. Augusta National is renowned for its strict code of conduct, and MacIntyre was reportedly reprimanded for this behaviour.
Upon exiting the tournament, MacIntyre posted a picture of a garden gnome giving a middle-finger gesture on his Instagram story, a nod to the highly sought-after Masters gnomes collectables. This act underscored the frustration and controversy surrounding his early departure from the prestigious event.
With McIlroy holding a significant lead, the golfing world watches intently as he navigates the pressures of history, public scrutiny, and the sage, if blunt, counsel of a legend. The final rounds promise high drama and potential twists in this captivating Masters narrative.



