Benzema's Text Message Reportedly Sparked Ronaldo's Saudi Arabia Strike
A light-hearted text message from Karim Benzema is reported to have played a significant role in Cristiano Ronaldo's decision to go on strike at Al-Nassr, with the Portuguese superstar sitting out two of his side's matches in protest. Ronaldo, who earns a staggering £480,000 per day, is said to have been incensed by a perceived lack of action and ambition from his club during the transfer window, while their rivals strengthened their squads.
Frustration Over Rival Transfers and Club Ambition
The 41-year-old's frustration is believed to have been ignited by watching league rival Al-Hilal, another Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF) club, secure the signing of his former Real Madrid teammate Karim Benzema from Al-Ittihad. According to a report by the Telegraph, a playful text exchange between the two players reportedly exacerbated Ronaldo's discontent.
Benzema was said to have jokingly informed Ronaldo that he had received a pay rise by moving to Al-Hilal, before adding that he intended to win the Saudi Pro League title once again. The French forward clinched the league last season with Al-Ittihad, while Ronaldo's Al-Nassr finished a distant third, trailing by 13 points.
Ronaldo, who has yet to secure any silverware in Saudi Arabia since his arrival in January 2023, reportedly holds the perception that Al-Nassr lacks the competitive ambition demonstrated by their rivals in the transfer market. His new club Al-Hilal currently leads Al-Nassr by one point in this season's title race, with Ronaldo aiming to capture the Saudi Pro League for the first time in his fourth year with the side.
Deepening Discontent and Club Response
Benzema's impactful start at Al-Hilal, which included scoring twice on his debut, may have only deepened Ronaldo's frustration. The Portuguese icon is thought to have been unimpressed by Al-Nassr's own transfer approach, which saw them introduce only one player, a young midfielder, during the winter window.
However, a statement shared with Daily Mail Sport from the league suggested that Ronaldo's claims were unfounded. 'The Saudi Pro League is structured around a simple principle: every club operates independently under the same rules,' they stated. 'Clubs have their own boards, their own executives and their own football leadership. Decisions on recruitment, spending and strategy sit with those clubs, within a financial framework designed to ensure sustainability and competitive balance.'
The spokesperson emphasised that recent transfer activity had 'demonstrated that independence clearly', noting that 'one club strengthened in a particular way, another chose a different approach'. They added that the competitiveness of the league, with only a few points separating the top four teams, reflects a system that is functioning as intended.
Resolution and Return to Action
Ronaldo resumed training with Al-Nassr last week after the club is thought to have yielded to several of his demands. As per reports from A Bola, Al-Nassr reinstated certain powers to directors Jose Semedo and Simao Coutinho, both of whom are alleged to have had their authority curtailed, preventing the club from making significant moves during the January transfer window.
Semedo, appointed chief executive in July and a close friend of Ronaldo, along with sporting director Coutinho, who was similarly appointed over the summer, are now believed to have regained influence. Additionally, Ronaldo is said to have been angered by unequal treatment within the club, particularly regarding delays to staff salaries, which Al-Nassr has reportedly settled in an effort to facilitate his return to the pitch.
While Ronaldo is not expected to feature in Al-Nassr's Asian Champions League match away at Turkmenistan side Arkadag, he could make his comeback when the Saudi Pro League resumes on Saturday against Al-Fateh. This incident underscores the intense pressures and high stakes in Saudi football, where even a casual text between former teammates can trigger significant unrest.



