Raheem Sterling could once again find himself without a club this summer, as Feyenoord have reportedly denied that the former England international will be offered a new contract. The 31-year-old joined the Dutch side in February and made eight appearances before the end of the season, failing to score a goal but registering one assist.
Sterling played his final game for Feyenoord on Sunday, featuring for 72 minutes against Zwolle on the last day of the Eredivisie campaign. Despite facing significant criticism from the media and supporters, manager Robin van Persie has consistently defended the winger.
“He was unlucky at times,” Van Persie said after the match. “But there were also a number of times where he was in a good position. In the second half, for example, when he produced a good run inside. Personally, I struggle with the cynicism surrounding him. I think respect is more appropriate. In any case, I don't like cynicism. I can't stand the whole atmosphere around him.”
Van Persie added: “Everyone has to know their place in that. And I think we sometimes go a bit overboard in the Netherlands regarding that. He has scored 200 goals in England and played 82 international matches. And that is regardless of whether you think he plays well or not. But I think the way we handle this as a footballing nation is really very bad.”
Reports in the Netherlands last month indicated that Sterling would not be offered a new deal, and Dutch publication AD has now confirmed a complete denial of any contract extension. This leaves the forward in limbo after he finally agreed to leave Chelsea following months of exile.
Sterling’s £325,000-per-week contract with Chelsea was terminated earlier this year after a difficult spell at Stamford Bridge. He was exiled to former manager Enzo Maresca’s “bomb squad” and forced to train away from the first team for over six months after falling down the pecking order.
Joining Van Persie’s Feyenoord was seen as an opportunity for Sterling to revive his career, but the move quickly turned sour. It was hoped that the former Manchester City star would help Feyenoord in their title battle against PSV, but his contribution was described by Dutch media as “shameful.” Feyenoord finished second in the Eredivisie, 19 points behind champions PSV.
Upon signing, Sterling said: “As a free agent, I've had, for the first time in a long time, the opportunity to control the next step in my career. I wanted to take my time to speak with clubs and their head coaches to better understand the role they envisioned for me and ensure that I can add real value in this next chapter. Having spoken in great detail with Robin, I'm confident that Feyenoord is a place I can be happy and establish myself as a valued member of the team. Playing abroad is a whole new challenge for me - and one I'm ready to embrace. Honestly, I'm just excited to get started.”
Sterling now faces the prospect of being a free agent once again this summer, with his future uncertain.



