Man Wrongfully Convicted in 1990 Michigan Murders Gets $5.25M Settlement
Wrongfully Convicted Man Gets $5.25M Settlement

A man who spent more than two decades behind bars for the deaths of two Michigan hunters has agreed to a $5.25 million settlement, his lawyer announced on Monday. The agreement follows accusations that police failed to turn over evidence that could have exonerated him at trial. Jeff Titus was released in 2023, and his murder convictions were erased at the request of prosecutors. The Innocence Clinic at the University of Michigan Law School, along with two investigators, secured acknowledgment from authorities that an Ohio serial killer might have been responsible for the hunters' deaths in 1990.

Long Road to Justice

Titus had maintained his innocence throughout his lengthy incarceration. “It’s been a long road for Jeff,” attorney Wolf Mueller said. “He’s 74. He lost two decades of his life. The money doesn’t make up for the loss of decades, but it allows him to put this part of his life behind him.” An email seeking comment from the lawyer who defended a retired homicide detective in the lawsuit was not immediately answered.

The Murders and Investigation

Doug Estes and Jim Bennett were fatally shot near Titus’ property in Kalamazoo County in 1990. Titus initially was cleared as a suspect, but murder charges were filed against him 12 years later. Prosecutors portrayed Titus as a hothead who did not like trespassers. Students and staff at the University of Michigan Law School were working to secure a new trial when a 30-page file from the original investigation was discovered at the county sheriff’s office. The file referred to an alternate suspect, Thomas Dillon of Magnolia, Ohio.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Role of Media and Podcasts

Jacinda Davis, at the television network Investigation Discovery, and Susan Simpson, through the podcast “Undisclosed,” had raised doubts about Titus’ guilt and aired questions about Dillon’s possible role. Dillon died in prison in 2011. He was arrested in 1993 and ultimately pleaded guilty to killing five people in Ohio who had been hunting, fishing, or jogging.

Lawsuit Focus

The lawsuit that was settled Monday did not center on Dillon as an alternate suspect. Rather, police were accused of violating Titus' rights by not sharing information that could have cast doubt on the trial testimony of a key witness, Mueller said.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration