Travel Agency Cancels Holidays, Stranding 200+ Customers Abroad
Travel Agency Cancels Holidays, Stranding Customers Abroad

A travel agency has left tourists stranded both abroad and at home after cancelling holiday packages, with over 200 customers warned that their flights were "under review." The Melbourne-based firm, AVG Travels, went silent after sending an email to affected travellers, informing them of "operational scheduling adjustments."

Mass Cancellations and Data Breach

According to Australia's public broadcaster, the ABC, many travellers were notified just days before their planned departures, while others were already overseas when the announcement was made. The agency had been offering heavily discounted package holidays to destinations worldwide, but the majority of cancellations impacted trips to China.

Adding to the distress, the mass email exposed recipients' email addresses in a significant data breach. A follow-up email apologised for the "administrative error," acknowledging that customer addresses were "unintentionally visible to other recipients."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Customer Complaints and Industry Response

In the initial email, chief executive David Dao expressed apologies for the uncertainty caused, citing "ongoing operational disruptions during this current peak travel period." The Council of Australian Tour Operators (CATO) confirmed it had suspended AVG Travels' membership following the cancellations. CATO general manager Mira Yates stated, "On becoming aware of complaints against AVG Travels this week, we moved quickly to review their accreditation status. That review has resulted in the immediate suspension of AVG Travels' CATO accreditation."

The Australian Travel Industry Association (ATIA) had previously cancelled the company's membership in August 2022 for failing to meet required "financial and ethical standards."

Stranded Customers Speak Out

Melbourne resident Elizabeth Jennings booked an 11-day tour to China but spent weeks unsuccessfully trying to obtain her tickets and itinerary. "We were told the trip had been cancelled a few days ago, and we could either travel in August or September, or take a credit voucher. I said no three times. I just want my money back," she said.

Perth resident Sam Chisholm paid £1,456 for an 11-day trip to China, scheduled to depart on May 27. Despite booking information stating that e-tickets and hotel details would be provided 30 days before departure, she received nothing. After the ABC published a story on the travel firm, AVG Travels refunded both Ms Jennings and Ms Chisholm in full.

Support Group and Company Statement

A Facebook support group with over 230 members has been formed, where customers share stories of cancelled departures, missing flight tickets, and unanswered calls and emails. In a statement, AVG Travels said, "While current industry-wide and operational pressures have necessitated some itinerary adjustments, our team is proactively engaging with all affected travellers to provide fair and appropriate resolutions." The firm described itself as "proudly Australian-owned," despite originating as an online travel agency in Vietnam in 2012 before establishing an office in Melbourne in 2015. It opened offices in Japan and the UK last year and continues to accept bookings online.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration