Family of Slain Girl Kumanjayi Little Baby in Dispute Over Donations
Family of Slain Girl in Dispute Over Donations

The family of Kumanjayi Little Baby, the five-year-old girl allegedly murdered in Alice Springs last month, has become entangled in two financial disputes over funds raised in her name. The alleged Anzac Day murder sparked violent riots in the Northern Territory town, while Australia mourned the child's death.

Drifter Jefferson Lewis, 47, has been charged with her murder after a crowd of locals found him hiding under a shipping container five days after she vanished and attacked him. Following her death, a GoFundMe appeal was launched to assist the child's mother, but her family claims they have been locked out from accessing the money raised. A second fund was also established to cover funeral expenses, but it has refused to publicly disclose how much has been donated or handed over.

Her devastated grandfather has now posted a photograph showing a collection of Kmart essentials the family has received to survive while the disputes are resolved. Kumanjayi was allegedly abducted from her bed at an Alice Springs Town Camp on April 25 and was found dead later that week in the dry Todd River.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

GoFundMe Dispute

The GoFundMe campaign, organised by the child's aunties on behalf of her mother Jacinta White, raised just $5,372 despite the global media attention surrounding the case. The organisers have now revealed that the money is in limbo with the fundraising website. A GoFundMe spokesman stated: 'All donations remain safely held by our payment processors until our due diligence checks are completed. Our Trust & Safety team is conducting our standard vetting and verification process for this fundraiser to ensure funds can be transferred safely to Kumanjayi Little Baby’s family.'

A second fund was organised by SNAICC, which bills itself as the 'National Voice for our Children' and the peak body for Indigenous children. It invited bank transfers to help with funeral costs but has refused to disclose how much was donated, how it was spent, and what has been given to the family. 'We're not releasing the figure,' a spokesman told the Daily Mail. 'We know the funds will go towards supporting a funeral.'

Family's Struggles

In early May, organisers shared a picture of Kumanjayi's grandfather Robin Granites with a car boot full of goods, including Kmart plates, cutlery, blankets, and cleaning products, claiming that money raised had gone towards the items. However, an insider told the Daily Mail that the goods pictured had actually been donated locally, not purchased with fundraiser money. On May 7, organisers urged people to stop donating, saying they could not access the funds and threatened legal action against GoFundMe. 'At this time, we ask with heavy hearts that no more funds be raised through this website,' the organiser posted. 'We have not been able to access the GoFundMe, and this has caused further distress and hurt for our family during an already painful time.'

Despite this, the page remains open to donations, with one man donating $1,185 just days ago. A further update on May 8 thanked people who had given money. 'On behalf of the aunties of Kumanjayi Little Baby, we want to thank each and every person from the bottom of our hearts,' the organiser said. 'Whether you donated, shared, spread awareness, prayed for us, or simply kept our family in your thoughts, thank you.'

Background of the Case

When Lewis was arrested, it sparked violent riots in Alice Springs. Hundreds of people searched for the missing girl before her body was found. Six child protection reports were made about Kumanjayi shortly before her death, but none were investigated, as revealed by The Australian. The Northern Territory's Department of Children and Families received the reports about the five-year-old living in a 'dangerous environment' from mid-March until two days before she disappeared. The latest report was in connection to an alleged aggravated assault on the little girl's mother on April 22. Her father was charged and remains in custody. Police responded to two of the reports in March and the other four in April, with sources claiming officers were frustrated by a lack of action by child services. It is understood that Kumanjayi's mother was given referrals to support services, but authorities had trouble staying in touch with her. The five-year-old was never removed from her mother's care.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration