Channel 4 Faces Potential Police Probe Over Married At First Sight UK After Panorama Claims
Channel 4 Could Face Police Probe Over MAFS UK After Panorama

Channel 4 could face a police investigation into Married At First Sight UK after the show faced criticism over its treatment of couples and allegations that two women were raped by their on-screen husbands.

Allegations and Reactions

One woman told BBC's Panorama that her on-screen husband raped her and threatened her. A second woman claimed she informed both Channel 4 and production company CPL about being allegedly raped by her on-screen husband, yet her episodes were still aired.

Security Minister Dan Jarvis told BBC Breakfast he is “extremely concerned” by the Panorama investigation. He added: “I think it's highly likely that there will be a referral to the police and it will be a police matter for them to investigate. These are shocking and deeply concerning allegations, and of course they must be very thoroughly investigated.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Culture, Media and Sport Committee chairwoman Dame Caroline Dinenage described the dating show's premise as “horrifying” and said she was “unsurprised” by the sexual assault allegations. Domestic abuse charity Women's Aid said the allegations made for “disturbing and sobering” viewing.

Show Paused and External Review

MAFS UK was due to launch a new series in September on Channel 4, but plans have been paused. Channel 4 has commissioned an external review into contributor welfare and pulled all previous episodes from its streaming platform.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4 Today on Tuesday, Dame Caroline said: “Clearly the programme was deeply shocking. I guess what surprised me most was how unsurprised I was by what it revealed, given I suppose, as you say, that these are couples that get married without having met each other before, and then immediately have to assume a life as a married couple. They go on honeymoon, they share a bed, and in this kind of bubble of intimacy under the glare of a TV camera. In the cold light of day, it really is quite horrifying, isn't it?”

A spokesperson for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport told the BBC: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full cooperation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”

Channel 4's Response

Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month. A statement from the broadcaster said: “In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied. The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations. Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time. Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”

None of the women the BBC has spoken to has reported their allegations to the police, it was reported. A third woman also spoke to Panorama and waived her right to anonymity.

Shona Manderson's Account

Shona Manderson, who appeared on the show in 2023, accused her on-screen husband of sexual misconduct, claiming she was subjected to a non-consensual sex act. She said she deserved better welfare from production company CPL after she alleged her partner, Bradley Skelly, took things too far during sex. In a statement to the programme, he categorically denied “any allegations of sexual misconduct, or that he was controlling”.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

In a post on Instagram on Tuesday, Ms Manderson said she hopes to contribute to a wider conversation about welfare and positive change on the programme: “I decided to take part (in Panorama) because I hoped in doing so that sharing my story, it will contribute to a wider conversation about welfare and positive change. I did, a year after my experience on MAFS, say to production I would like a meeting about my welfare, and my meeting wasn't honoured. We never had that meeting. I had some really constructive points that I would have brought up in that meeting. I guess I just did it with the BBC instead.”

CPL's lawyers said the company took appropriate measures to safeguard her wellbeing. Channel 4 said the woman was clear at the time that all sexual contact was consensual. Her on-screen husband categorically denies “any allegations of sexual misconduct” or that he was “controlling”.

Industry and Police Response

Lawyers for CPL reportedly told the BBC its welfare system is “gold standard” and it acted appropriately. Priya Dogra, chief executive of Channel 4, said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance. It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors. Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on. We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved. On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”

Channel 4 said MAFS UK is produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry”, including background checks, a code of conduct setting out behavioural standards and “daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team”.

A new series was due to air in September 2026 but plans have been paused, and Channel 4 will await the results of an external review before looking at the future of the show. They have pulled all previous episodes from their streaming platform.

A Met Police spokesperson said tonight: “We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday, 18 May. At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter. We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police. We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us.”