The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) is facing criticism for using taxpayer money to produce a satirical series that involved tricking individuals into participating in prank interviews. Production of Northland Tales has been paused, a spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday. This decision followed a complaint from two conservative Canadian women who were deceived into appearing on an unaired episode in March.
Deceptive Tactics Used in Production
The show employed fake identities and fabricated business ventures to lure the women to the set. Chuck Thompson, a CBC spokesperson, stated in a report published by the station on Wednesday: "It is important for us in the execution that this entertainment series does not negatively impact our news brand. With that context, we are currently pausing on production while we assess the existing footage."
Further Complaints from RCMP Veterans
On the same day, another complaint emerged from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Veterans Association. The veterans' group confirmed that its members were targeted for the show under the pretense of having their service celebrated, according to a report from Juno News. Instead, retirees were duped to the point where some were "traumatized," the outlet reported. A segment with a live audience included accusations meant to portray the RCMP as a disreputable organization.
The RCMP told the publication that it is working with its lawyers and the CBC to address the complaints. A spokesperson for the RCMP said: "The RCMP was informed of an incident involving an RCMP Veteran’s Association member who volunteered for a CBC documentary series about an episode featuring life after retirement from policing. The veteran has relayed her experience and describes being subjected to a prank during filming in Vancouver in March 2026." The police force confirmed it is now engaging with the CBC's legal team.
Political Reactions
Conservative MP Aaron Gunn, reacting to a fellow politician's complaint about the show last week on X, described the interviews as "something you would expect from a university fraternity, not a taxpayer-funded broadcaster." Melissa Lantsman, another conservative from Ontario, wrote: "The CBC is using your tax dollars to smear the very country it was built to serve, running deceptive sting operations. Fake documentaries. Hidden agendas." Billy Morin, a Conservative MP for Edmonton Northwest, told the Canadian Press: "Not only is this wrong against a public servant, it completely disrespects and trivializes residential school survivors and their families."
The CBC's synopsis of the series states: "With outrageous humor, they flip the script on modern and historical injustices against Indigenous peoples, offering a fresh, timely perspective on the prank genre, akin to shows like Borat and The Yes Men."



