Fire Services Update on Six South Wales Wildfires
Fire Services Update on Six South Wales Wildfires

Emergency services, including military personnel, continue to work at the scene of six wildfires in south Wales on Wednesday afternoon.

Ongoing Fires and Military Support

In a statement published on Wednesday, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said fires are ongoing in Blaenavon, Treherbert, Dowlais, the Llwyn-on reservoir, while emergency services remain at Wattsville and Cwm in Ebbw Vale after wildfires there.

A spokesperson for the fire service said military personnel will be stood down across the region later on Wednesday. They said: "Today army teams continue to provide valuable support to SWFRS at the incident in Dowlais as firefighting operations continue. The military will fully stand down from south Wales later today as the aid formally comes to an end."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Helicopter Operations and Drone Restrictions

"Two helicopters continue to carry out essential firefighting and reconnaissance missions. A temporary restricted area remains in force to support firefighting operations and ensure the safety of emergency responders and helicopter crews operating over affected areas."

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) restriction applies to all unmanned aircraft, including personal drones. Flying drones within the restricted area is prohibited. Professional drone operators are advised to check NOTAMs through approved aviation information sources before undertaking any activity.

Public Safety Measures

Arson reduction teams are continuing to patrol the areas affected, and anyone who sees any suspicious behaviour or deliberate fire setting is encouraged to report to the police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The fire service is also asking the public to only call 999 to report a new emergency, to not use disposable barbecues, fire pits, fireworks or garden incinerators, and to keep doors and windows closed in areas affected by smoke. Last week the UK Government issued a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues as they pose a “significant risk to the public” due to the heatwave conditions.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration