Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's decision to inform King Charles of their planned UK return only days before the public announcement centres on trust, a former palace staffer says. Ailsa Anderson, who served as press secretary to the late Queen, told The Sun's Royal Exclusive that the timing was "all about" the issue of trust that still surrounds King Charles and Buckingham Palace on one side and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their household on the other.
Trust issues between Palace and Sussexes
Asked about the timing of the Sussexes' U-turn, Anderson said: "Obviously we had this initial meeting last month when Harry and Meghan were in the UK, but that was very private. And I think they almost tested the waters. We didn't see any images coming out of that meeting in Highgrove. It was very much a secret meeting. There was no sort of briefing apart from to confirm it happened."
She told Royal Exclusive: "I think there is an element of trust on both sides and hence that's why it's only been revealed right at the last moment."
Timing of the announcement
The King was informed of the Sussexes' planned move on Sunday, with news of the return first reported by The Sun and Daily Telegraph on Wednesday. Harry, Meghan, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet are expected to arrive in time for the children to begin school in the UK in September. They will be in the UK for an extended period, but the move is not permanent.
Their meeting with King Charles at Highgrove in July has been widely interpreted as signalling a mending of relations between the monarch and his youngest son.
Background of allegations
Royal experts and commentators have long suggested members of the Royal Family are guarded when it comes to trusting the Sussexes in case private matters end up being shared in public. It comes after Harry and Meghan made a series of allegations against royals, including Queen Camilla, Prince William and King Charles, in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Duke's memoir, Spare, and the Sussexes' Netflix docu-series.
Charles is said to be happy to be able to spend more time with the Sussexes, but remains adamant they will not be working royals. Harry and Meghan have not commented on their reasons for relocating to the UK, though a source close to the Duchess did not deny reports she has been offered an acting role in an upcoming project in Britain.
Rumours have abounded as to where Harry and Meghan will choose to settle, with suggestions including the Cotswolds. Archie and Lilibet are expected to start at their new schools in early September and it is understood there will be no published photographs of the children when they start or on their birthdays. British media has been instructed by the press regulator not to disclose the location of the Sussexes' new family home or the children's school.



