Rob Rinder pulls out of Southport Flower Show after father dies aged 73
Rob Rinder pulls out of Southport Flower Show after father dies

TV personality Rob Rinder has pulled out of the Southport Flower Show following the death of his dad. Rob was due to appear at the popular four-day event on Friday, August 21, but will no longer attend following the news.

Southport Flower Show confirms cancellation

The Southport Flower Show confirmed the cancellation in a message shared with visitors, saying: “Our thoughts are with Rob Rinder and his family. We were very sorry to hear the sad news that Rob Rinder’s father has passed away.”

It added: “Rob was due to join us at Southport Flower Show tomorrow, Friday 21st August, but understandably will no longer be able to attend.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

“We know many of our visitors were looking forward to welcoming Rob to the show, and we’re sure you’ll join everyone at Southport Flower Show in sending our heartfelt condolences to him and his family at this incredibly difficult time.”

Rob Rinder announces father's death on Instagram

Rob announced the death of his dad in an emotional post on Instagram, revealing that he had died aged 73. Alongside his moving tribute, he shared an old family photograph featuring himself and his brother, as well as a photograph of his dad as a child.

He described his dad as a "London cabbie and lifelong Spurs supporter" who had been present for his sons' and grandsons' football matches. The broadcaster also spoke candidly about his relationship with his dad, saying they were "very different men" but that he "never once doubted his pride" in him.

Rob said his dad spent the final years of his life at Jewish Care, where he was cared for by staff and surrounded by family in his final moments. He said his dad was "funny, beautifully flawed, loving and my dad," adding that he died "with his family around him, loved and held to the last".

Lewy body dementia awareness

He also revealed that his dad had died after living with Lewy body dementia, using his death to raise awareness of the condition. Rob said the disease “took him far too young” and urged people to learn more about Lewy body dementia, which he described as “poorly understood, frequently missed and desperately under-researched”.

His withdrawal means visitors to this year's Southport Flower Show will be without one of the event's anticipated special guests. The show itself is still set to welcome thousands of people to Victoria Park, with more than 50,000 visitors expected across the four days.

The annual event, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2024, runs from Thursday, August 20 until Sunday, August 23. Visitors can expect a packed programme of special guests, Q&A sessions, live demonstrations and horticultural displays. Highlights include award-winning show gardens, the grand floral marquee, amateur grower exhibits, floral art displays, plant society exhibitors and displays from local schools and charities.

The show's family attractions and conservation features are also returning, with alpacas, a children's trail, doodle wall, beehive and honey marquee, scarecrow maze, forest school, potting shed, children's yoga and tennis skills among the attractions. A new Lakeside Reset zone will also offer visitors a space focused on wellbeing and mindfulness.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration