The North Pier in Tynemouth has been closed with immediate effect following an act of vandalism, just days after it was reopened. Eight glass bricks in the pavement near the lighthouse have been smashed, leaving broken glass on the ground.
Port of Tyne Reports £20,000 Damage
Port of Tyne stated that the vandalism has made the area unsafe for visitors and has left sensitive equipment supporting the navigation equipment on the lighthouse vulnerable. The estimated cost of the damage is around £20,000.
Port of Tyne said the North Pier will remain closed while the damage is assessed and the area is made safe. In a social media post, they wrote: "We're saddened to share that North Pier has been closed to the public with immediate effect following a significant act of vandalism."
Community Impact and Recent Reopening
Port of Tyne added: "We know how much the Pier means to our communities, and it has been fantastic to see so many people enjoying and respecting this iconic landmark since it reopened just a week ago. We'd like to thank everyone who has visited responsibly and helped make the reopening such a success."
They continued: "That's why it is particularly disappointing that the actions of a small number of individuals have impacted access for everyone else and caused significant damage to this much-loved local landmark."
History of Damage and Previous Closure
The North Pier was previously closed in October 2023 due to structural damage caused during Storm Babet. It reopened seven days ago after being restored as part of a £4.5 million project to repair both the North Pier and South Pier in South Shields.
Port of Tyne, which led the restoration project, previously said in July 2025 that construction workers had been subjected to daily incidents of inappropriate and abusive language. Newly-restored items had also been vandalised.
On Wednesday, people were asked to leave the North Pier due to the act of vandalism by security. The gates were closed by Port of Tyne officials.



