Tynemouth Pier Vandalism: £20,000 Damage Forces Closure Days After Reopening
Tynemouth Pier Vandalism: £20k Damage Forces Closure

Residents of Tynemouth have been left 'disgusted' after vandals caused the closure of the North Pier just days after it reopened. The pier was closed to the public again after eight glass bricks near the lighthouse were smashed, leaving broken glass on the ground.

The Port of Tyne said the damage, estimated at £20,000, has left the pier unsafe for visitors and has made the lighthouse's navigation equipment vulnerable. The North Pier was originally closed in October 2023 due to damage caused by Storm Babet, but had been restored only seven days ago as part of a £4.5m project that also saw the restoration of the South Pier in South Shields.

Councillor Condemns 'Mindless Idiots'

Conservative Tynemouth councillor Lewis Bartoli said: 'You can see from the Facebook posts and comments, I think it's obvious, people are rightly disgusted. It is only open for a matter of days, and someone has caused what is claimed to be £20,000 worth of damage.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

'It is unforgivable. We have waited years to get it reopened, and it was great to see it open, but it's closed again because of mindless idiots.'

'It is just really depressing, we have waited that long to use the pier. The summer is here, it's a wonderful opportunity for everyone, and some idiot has spoiled it.'

Call for Public Accountability

Coun Bartoli continued: 'If it does cost £20,000, those responsible should be paying for that, it shouldn't be coming out of the public purse.'

The pier was evacuated by Port of Tyne security as a result of the vandalism on Wednesday. It is currently unknown how long the pier will be out of action for.

Port of Tyne Responds

On its social media channels, The Port of Tyne said: 'We know how much the pier means to our communities, and it has been fantastic to see so many people enjoying and respecting this iconic landmark since it reopened just a week ago. We'd like to thank everyone who has visited responsibly and helped make the reopening such a success.'

'That's why it's partially disappointing that the actions of a small number of individuals have impacted access for everyone else and caused significant damage to this much-loved local landmark.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration