The family of a man killed in a shark attack off Rottnest Island in Western Australia have paid tribute to a 'loving husband and father.' Steven Mattaboni, 38, was attacked by a 16-foot great white shark while spearfishing near Horseshoe Reef on Saturday, May 16. His wife Shirene described him as a devoted father to their two daughters, aged two and four months, and a 'one-of-a-kind gentleman.'
Heartbreaking loss
Shirene Mattaboni said: 'Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven, known affectionately to his mates as Mattas. An avid fisherman and spearfisherman, who lived and breathed the ocean, he was always in tune with the sea. He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back. The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.'
A GoFundMe campaign launched to support the family had raised more than £86,000 by Monday. The organiser described Steven as 'truly one of a kind' and 'a loving husband, devoted father, and an incredibly kind and genuine man.'
Community mourns
Steven played football for the Perth suburb of Kingsley, and his club paid tribute, saying: 'Mattas was one of the most genuine people you could meet. He had a smile and presence that could light up a room.' Sergeant Michael Wear, leading the investigation, said Steven's friends witnessed the attack and retrieved his body, administering CPR on the way to shore. WA Police Minister Reece Whitby acknowledged their efforts.
Fisheries officers searched for the shark on Sunday after further sightings. Steven's death is the first fatal shark attack in Western Australia since March last year. Australia has recorded approximately 1,300 shark attacks since 1791, with around 260 fatalities.



