A man has been charged in connection with the terror attack at the Heaton Park synagogue.
Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St. James Road, Higher Broughton, has today (Thursday, August 20) been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity under the Terrorism Act of 2000, Counter Terror Policing North West (CTPNW) said.
The charge 'relates directly to the attack,' they said.
Details of the attack
Terrorist Jihad Al Shamie, 35, drove his Kia Picanto into the gates of the synagogue, on Middleton Road in Crumpsall, and began attacking people with a knife whilst wearing a fake suicide belt, on Yom Kippur, October 2 last year.
Worshippers Melvin Cravitz, 66, and Adrian Daulby, 53, lost their lives, while Al Shamie was shot dead by armed police.
Court appearance
Mr Hakim, an Iraqi national whose self-defined ethnicity is Asian, has been remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates Court in London tomorrow (Friday 21 August 2026).
In a statement confirming the development, Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who holds operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “I can confirm that, earlier today, officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West charged a man with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity.
“This charge is directly related to the terrorist attack which took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue last October.
“This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors. We have updated them and continue to offer them as much support as possible.
“Since the attack took place, we have been unwavering in our commitment to establishing the full picture behind the incident and identifying anybody who may have been involved in any way.
“The charge that has been authorised is the culmination of a substantial amount of meticulous work by the investigation team, supported by the Crown Prosecution Service, and I hope this update reaffirms that commitment.”



